classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Relieving Oneself in a Fighter Jet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:14 am    Post subject: Relieving Oneself in a Fighter Jet Reply with quote

Each year during my Fighter Pilot career, I joined Firefighters, Policemen, and others participating in Career Day activities to chat with students about our respective vocations. One of the most common questions students asked was how fighter pilots relieved themselves on long missions given the cramped cockpit and lack of facilities. The answer was "Piddle-Packs".

A piddle-pack consists of a soft plastic container with a dry sponge inside that could absorb a large quantity of fluid without leaking. Of course, the challenge was maintaining aircraft control during the relief process. The autopilot didn't always operate in a fighter and was not a mission priority system.

One night, after completing a long intercept of Russian Bears over the Atlantic, I observed my wingman performing a lazy barrel roll over the top of and around my jet. Thinking he may have becoming disoriented or dozed off, I called him on the radio to check his status. His reply was blunt, but informative. "Peeing."
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
Miken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I've tried to pee off the back of a small boat on a choppy sea, I've found it can take what seems like several minutes to unclench and relax enough to let go.
I imagine it might be similar or probably worse in a fast jet?
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often wondered how aircrew on long range missions in the second world war coped with calls of nature. I believe some missions, such as to Berlin, would last around ten hours. That's a very long time in sub zero temperatures.
i understand that the pilots had 'pee tubes' that were hopefully not frozen up, causing dire results. The bigger aircraft were fitted with an Elsan type chemical toilet. Imagine having to use this in sub zero temperatures. The mind boggles.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
bjacko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shackletons had the same chrome plated pee tube. Don't know what they do when wearing a pressure suit though!
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken, Piddle Packs were inconvenient enough to use that most waited until they had to go badly before using one. So, rather than having difficulty getting the flow initiated, trying told hold it until the pack was unravelled and in position was the greater challenge.

Keith, Relief tubes were worse than piddle packs. I flew the T-33 which had one. That device consisted of a cone-shaped cup with a trigger and tube on the bottom. To use it, one depressed the trigger which created negative pressure in the tube and vented the fluid overboard. Malfunctions included spillage, clogged tubes or dump masts, and pranks by fellow pilots. I once found a wad of chewing gum at the base of the cup . . . funny.

Bjacko, The anti-exposure suits we wore over water during cold weather were made of stiff rubberized cotton. The zipper was waterproof, so very stiff to open and close. Under the suit, we wore thick padded long-johns. So, it was quite a reach out to the piddle-pack once one got the zipper open. The whole process was a real challenge.

Regards,
Joe
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: