classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MoT changes 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Crashbox

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to bear in mind is that older MOT testers are bowing out all the time. The vast majority of testers today are under 40 and 99% of cars they see are most likely no older than 15-years-old. When someone with a vintage car, for example, turns up to get an MOT on their 90-year-old car it's going to be subjected to a test that's designed for a 3-year-old car because that's what the 30-year-old tester is doing every day of his life. I know of a number of 2CV'ers who have had a fail on their car because the handbrake showed zero effort. Turned out the tester was testing the brakes on the rear of the car and the handbrake works on the front brakes. Another erroneous and all too frequent failure is too much movement in the 2CV's suspension system!! How many old cars have failed an MOT simply because the MOT tester was subjecting it to a test it would never be able to pass even if it had just rolled off the production line. Saying that, I'll be presenting my 1932 Morris for an MOT imminently... though the MOT station I'll be using is well experienced with testing ancient machines and testing them accordingly.

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashbox wrote:
Something to bear in mind is that older MOT testers are bowing out all the time. The vast majority of testers today are under 40 and 99% of cars they see are most likely no older than 15-years-old.
And since the change in law regarding 30 year old vehicles, they will be seeing fewer classic vehicles. Whilst the specific changes by year are well documented in the Testers Manual, I'd imagine most NT's would have to look them up prior to the test, where as a few years ago they would have been more familiar with them.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Whilst the specific changes by year are well documented in the Testers Manual, I'd imagine most NT's would have to look them up prior to the test, where as a few years ago they would have been more familiar with them.

I have had an MOT failure for having no drivers door mirror, and no visible VIN plate (except it has one) from a newly-qualified tester some years ago. I only "got away with it" because he became infuriated at my questions and went to get the manual to show me he was correct. He wasn't, and it was frustrating all round.

I don't miss trying to get it to scrape through the emissions test every year, though.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY M.O.T. tester is well over 70 and owns the garage. He not only understands older cars but actually enjoys seeing them. We all get nostalgic sometimes. He used to admire my GT6 which I kept in very good condition but even he wasn't happy with Trundles because , being an Austin Seven, it was too narrow to go on his ramp. He asked me to drive across the forecourt and apply the brakes because he didn't want to use the Tapley meter.

I did my best and managed to lock the wheels.

He was amazed! Razz
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to put a spanner in the works, I am a member of another forum related to Farina Oxfords and Cambridges, etc. One member wrote to the DfT to ask for clarification of the recently publicised item on bodywork repairs being unnaceptable in Historic Vehicle terms, and received the following:

"While the DVLA takes into consideration repair work to a chassis or monocoque bodyshell to maintain safety and prolong its life, a modification such as drilling, cutting or welding undertaken as part of a restoration, is not considered to be a repair."

This clearly has ambiguities. Does this refer to modifications or are like for like repairs also included. Is an accident repair also considered a restoration? What do they consider to be a repair and not a modification? This is potentially very serious and We need to bombard our MP's with objections to this.

My personal view is that this is a hint that we are getting to the end of the road, and that elements of the nanny state want us off the road and on the scrapheap. One extra drilled hole took a mini out, what about the rest of the movement with replaced cills, boot floors, etc. I wrote to one of the weekly classic car magazines and received a very dismissive reply from its editor. Well, if this is not repealed by FBHVC, then he and a couple of million other people are going to be without a job very shortly!!
Boring Tucson SUV
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What concerns me is the obvious lack of expertise at the DVLA. There are it seems people in positions of power who obviously don't know what they are talking about.

What can be done about it?

I simply don't know.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for starters, it won't be the DVLA that we look to for MoT information..it will be the DVSA!
{VOSA as it once was, until amalgamated with the DSA]

The DVLA deal with driver & vehicle licensing.

They have taken on board the responsibility of accepting the Registered Keeper's declaration regarding Historic Vehicle status . That is all.

It is the DVSA who have issued the regulations and definitions regarding historic vehicle status.

So we need to start querying the right government agency, for starters.

Technically [as I have been warned] if we take our 40-plus Y O vehicles for a voluntary MoT, having already declared them to comply to get Historic Vehicle Status [for VED purposes]....then there may be issues when the new MoT runs out.

Technically, the exemption for MoT testing isn't automatic.
It has to be ''applied for''.

Each time a new MoT is required [because the existing one has expired].

However, once the declaration has been made, and exemption granted, there it remains.

So, actually acquiring a new MoT to satisfy one's needs [whether valid or reasonable, I'll not argue here]....places the vehicle technically back where it started when first seeking MoT exemption.

Hence why my favourite MoT testing spot encouraged me to not actually submit my bangers for MoT, but rather, if I so wished, submit for a 'check-over'.... All very confusing....

But first, we need to get our own heads around which Government agency does what!
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alastair, I defer to your deeper understanding of these bureaucratic machinations.

They all look the same to me. Very Happy
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Alastair, I defer to your deeper understanding of these bureaucratic machinations.

They all look the same to me. Very Happy

It didn't help when the exemption thing first started, with all the confusion between DVLA & DVSA as to who needed to do what?

Too many old vehicle owners still don't realise that their vehicles are not exempt from VED [tax]....simply because they don't have to pay anything.

They haven't got the heads around the fact that the VED is set at zero....not the other way around.
Hence, by being set at zero, any government can, in the future, alter that, to any amount they want.

If it's the ease with which unscrupulous owners can simply drive their wrecks on the road come the 40 year exemption that worries folk [not as many as those who own vehicles less than 10 years old which are not roadworthy in one way or another?]....then why cannot the PTB insist on having passed a 'final MoT'' before exemption[and historic vehicle status] will be granted?
That way, at least the world-at-large [the worriers?] will know that a 40 year old vehicle starts out as being MoT-worthy?

When I purchoiced my '67 Mustang, I had it MoT'd....

Then the 'exemption' thin rocked up.

I had trouble with the new online Declaration thing, for historic vehicle status [it was already zero VED]...simply because the car had a valid MoT..therefore couldn't have an ''exemption'' at the same time.

At the time a number of complaints were raised about this sort of scenario, because there would be a situation where a vehicle, having passed an MoT which then expired, still couldn't obtain an exemption...IE, make the exemption declaration......until the 'tax' ran out....
Technically, it wouldn't be road legal for the intervening time period....unless a new MoT was sought!!
Which all rather defeated the object of having an exemption...
I recall receiving assurances from the Police that the lack of current valid MoT in the intervening period would not be pursued....simply because the online systems had to 'catch up with themselves'...

Oddly, the online system at the time then refused to allow me to obtain new VED for my Dellow....at the time the old one ran out....Then, when I tried again later, it told me the Dellow was already taxed, and I didn't even make a 'declaration'....

The Mustang didn't get an actual 'declaration' made until the following year....despite my being able to tax it [at zero rate]....as it told me, the thing was exempt from the need for MoT
Then, as I said, a year later, I had to tick the box, making the declaration!

I fully understand how the confusion arises. Even the Agencies themselves get tied up in knots!

Also, for me a reason to not get involved in being 'proper, ' and keeping a low profile and not poking the bear, so to speak.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an extended telephone conversation with a man at the car tax office about this zero tax issue with my Swallow. He said the Swallow was "zero rated" ... but would still be "taxed".

I asserted that if no money changes hands then the car cannot be "taxed" because by any definition tax involves paying money.

We just went round and round in circles. Rolling Eyes
Penman

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason fdor a zero rate of Tax is so that it only needs a regulation change and not a new Act in order to go back to a monetary value tax.
I believe the same applies to Zero rated VAT items.

So from a civil service point of view you car is taxed.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: