classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

2 Door British Medium Sized Saloons Built 1950-56
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which for me, raises the question of, how often [if at all?] does one carry enough passengers to need access to the rear, to the detriment of frontal access?

Front seats on well designed 2 door saloons [coupes?] can be made to slide as well as tilt.
Or even, to tilt at an advantageous angle?

I think these days, for me, the real bugbear is the inability of older steering columns to raise or lower instantly.

Even in the 1960's, US cars were only just having tilt n slide columns....
The steering wheel size [important on armstrong steering] seems to be a major impediment to ease of access to the front, for older folk?
My Mustang [a '67] has a standard diameter steering wheel, and even with the driver's door being 'unsprung' so as to open a bit wider, I find that getting my right thigh to pass cleanly under the steering wheel is impossible. The left one doesn't matter!
If it wasn't for the incredibly generous footwell leg room, whereby I can stretch my [38 inside leg] out more or less straight, I would find myself only getting behind the wheel from the right [passenger] side, sliding across being very easy to perform, given the very low transmission tunnel height.

For me as a tall person [I'm getting shorter......at the rate I am shrinking, by the time I'm 95 I'll be four foot dot!}..........using the rear doors of a normal 4 door saloon is still a very awkward squeeze.....[4 door Land Rovers being impossible for me to get in the back, seated...]

In many ways, access via a wider 2 door front door, to the back seats, tends for me to be easier, if a little less dignified. At least my backside can be plonked on the seat whilst my legs are still stretched out, outside the car...

I do note, from the various owners groups I belong to, that more & more members sell their prides-n-joy simply because they can no longer get in or out of the things...
My problem is also, with age, my feet have gotten wider. Or at least, my right foot has!
This limits the type of footwear I find comfy...which limits how close pedals can be to each other...
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Which for me, raises the question of, how often [if at all?] does one carry enough passengers to need access to the rear, to the detriment of frontal access?

In MY case it was when I was a student and anyone with a car was in big demand, especially when it came to going to the pub!

I don't drink as a rule but I didn't mind accepting contributions towards petrol. I did that because I was poorly funded when I was at College. I had a Government grant but I was only entitled to £750 a year because my Dad was well paid and was expected to "top up"...something he never did!

We would all pile in the little car and it tended to be two girls and a lucky bloke squeezed in the back. The mini skirt was in vogue and it was difficult for young ladies to climb in or out of the back seat while maintaining their dignity!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I would ask why 2 doors in particular. Cars with 4 seats are more practical with 4 doors are they not?
Practicality aside; IMHO There are very few (if any) 4 door cars that look better than their 2 door counterparts.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:
I would ask why 2 doors in particular. Cars with 4 seats are more practical with 4 doors are they not?
Practicality aside; IMHO There are very few (if any) 4 door cars that look better than their 2 door counterparts.

Dave

I agree. The only exception I can think of is possibly the BMC 1100.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a ride in a 2 door AC 2 litre ...

http://www.ac2litre.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: