classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Two Norton CS1 bikes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Two Norton CS1 bikes Reply with quote

...then two come along...

As you may all have gathered by now, in his younger days, my Dad was a Norton enthusiast and rode a CS1. Perhaps because he would recollect with enthusiasm for this particular model, I tend to look out for them. Quite a rare bike; the restored one has had a lot of work done. The price is in fact reasonable.

The unrestored bike has lots of character and was obviously much loved by it's late owner who kept it in his living room!

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1654909

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1614739

Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb bikes.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Superb bikes.

I thought so. Really there is something for everyone. If you were impressed by the history then the unrestored racer would be tempting.

On the other hand if you prefer the restored look then the cheaper option would appeal.

Interestingly, I found the unrestored bike 'unsold' on an auction site. I know they are rare but there is a limit to what it's worth.

Personally, I would go for the restored bike; not just because it's cheaper but because I would not want to obliterate the charm of the other one.

Confused thinking maybe?
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong but doesn't the racer have a kick-start lever even though it surely dates from the Run, Jump on and Bump start period.

Perhaps different types of race used different start procedures.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
I might be wrong but doesn't the racer have a kick-start lever even though it surely dates from the Run, Jump on and Bump start period.

Perhaps different types of race used different start procedures.

I expect it was added later. My Dad's CS1 also had a kick start but that was supposedly a race bike. The trouble is that Norton would supply anything the customer wanted - also, we just don't know what has been done over the years. After it's racing days were over, a bike like this would be practically worthless and if it did fall into the hands of someone who appreciated the sheer beauty of the thing, it would get modified to make it more civilised. My Dad would have added lights for example; something that the unrestored bike here has yet to acquire.

This is what I mean about preferring not to spoil it's originality and why the restored bike is my choice.

I remember asking Dad what it was like to ride. he replied that it was quick but not very easy. He said the same thing about the much lauded Vincent Black Shadow. It was a damned quick bike but Dad actually preferred the slightly slower but equally magnificent Vincent Rapide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: