classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My long lost car turned up after many years...advice please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
CrippleDeDoDa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject: My long lost car turned up after many years...advice please Reply with quote

Hello.... Any good advice wanted on this please...

I can't be too specific for reasons that will become obvious.

I owned a classic that was undergoing improvement work, back in the early 90s, it was stolen from its garage, in good condition and drivable.

The car was not insured as it was not in use, because this happened so long ago, I remember reporting it to the Police, but back then they (allegedly) came out (they didn't in this case...) but you didn't get (as far as I can remember) a crime reference number.

Tonight, I spotted the same car In an auction on eBay, appearing to be in a similar condition to when I owned it.

Presumably it has passed through several owners over the years. I never received a letter at the time notifying a V62 (log book.had been applied for)for

I feel as though I should be entitled to receive it back, after all it is still a stolen car..... Any advice welcome please....
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were the owner of the car when it was taken from the garage you should still have the V5. Although not proof of ownership (just "keeper") of the car it would be a pretty powerful tool in your favour.
bjacko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:57 am    Post subject: Stolen car Reply with quote

There was a case recently, can't remember whether it was here or UK where a person had bought a stolen car and the police took it and gave it back to the original owner. The "new' owner had to take civil action against the person he bought it from and had a good case because it is a requirement for dealers to check if the ownership is free of encumberances etc
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you or do you still have the V5?
CrippleDeDoDa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your replies, really appreciated...... I am still looking for the log book (V5) I definitely had one... I am also looking for photos of the car. The ironic thing is I was still living at home when the car was stolen just getting stuff together for My first flat, I just hope t hat the paperwork hasn't been binned in the three times I've moved since!

Worse case scenario....surely the Police / DVLA can tell from their records that as V62 was applied for and that the car was in my name?
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrippleDeDoDa wrote:
Thank you everyone for your replies, really appreciated...... I am still looking for the log book (V5) I definitely had one... I am also looking for photos of the car. The ironic thing is I was still living at home when the car was stolen just getting stuff together for My first flat, I just hope t hat the paperwork hasn't been binned in the three times I've moved since!

Worse case scenario....surely the Police / DVLA can tell from their records that as V62 was applied for and that the car was in my name?

Unfortunately, particularly of late, the DVLA have been less than helpful. They often don't take people with old cars seriously.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth a try though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: