classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rust Removal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
ianm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Rust Removal Reply with quote

G'day all have any of you used this stuff sonuds interesting , might even work on a siezed engine
Ian Smile www.rustbeeter.com

A byproduct of the sugar beet refining process, Rustbeeter™is an environmenatlly-friendly way to remove rust from steel and cast iron.

Unlike abrasive processes such as sandblasting and wire-brushing, or treating with acids or caustics, this beet molasses food-based product will not degrade the base metal and, thus, the value of your collectible… whether you are restoring an old tractor, car, truck, engine, tool or other metal antique.

Preservation and restoration are all about condition. Rustbeeter™products help the serious collector to preserve the past for future generations.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound good - a long way to ship it though! Strange its not sold here as most of our sugar comes from sugarbeet these days and its grown not very far from our house.

Presumably its just a leftover from the refining process?
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure if it is the same as a tube of molasses, there are instructions for this on previous threads. That does work. I have used molases on rusty tools, and then you have a great fertilizer for the garden!

Also electrolysis is the other way for seized components!

Cheers

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rustbeeter product and molasses are chelating agents, which I think (Buzzy may confirm) are often used to treat steam engine boilers?

Dave
rustyreks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: rust beeter Reply with quote

As was mentioned it works the same as mollasas it is derived from sugar beet again quite high in sugar content for it to work it needs to stay moist or wet like mollasas is sold in a gel form as well. Was told that a high concentration of sugar has the same effect but havent actually tried that yet.Another strange one that works is a strong brew of tea the natural tannins in the tea convert the rust have had good results on small parts ie nuts and bolts larger parts work better in mollasas/electrolysis brentnz
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made up and used sugar based rust removal, not so long ago I had a seized solid door hinge on my 4x4 I took it off and immersed it in Coca Cola for 2 days after which it worked perfectly I have soaked seized bolts too successfully

I now use this stuff from Bilt Hamber it is also supposed to be environmentaly friendly It is extremely good I have a dustbin in the corner of the barn and just throw pieces in to the treated water, it is fantastic stuff
http://www.bilthamber.com/deoxc.html

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: