classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New Spraygun
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes btw, thats an issue now even over here as from this year wbp is replacing 2 pack and it will be the only paint available or so is being said!!
I'll have a look at that site, thanks UJ Wink
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well think i'll get a cheaper gun like the one ukdave has for the time being and see whether I get the hang of it. I'm still confused about what compressor size would be best though!!
As I said don't want a bulky one cause I'd need to carry it around in the garage and perhaps even in my car to my other garages but on the other hand it must be powerful enough!!!!

I'll have a good look around and see what's available, any idea on a good brand?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here at least, the italian ABAC compressors have a good reputation. There will be others though. A lot depends on what you can get hold of locally. I would hazard a guess that on single phase, you are going to be limited to around 200-250 l/min.

Have you decided on a spray gun yet? As I suggested, try to find one that is WBP and solvent compatible. If you are going to use it for woodworking, make sure that you can get hold of big air caps. Woodworking finishes generally need larger ones than auto paint.
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ
I did chec kthe link you posted and have found a couple of the devilbliss guns that are ideal but they are a bit expensive and I guess that they will be even dearer over here. Bearing in mind that I will not use it that much frequently and also that I have never tried but just watched someone else spraying (with a gun) I think I will get a cheaper one and see whether I get the hang of it and if I do maybe buy a good one at a later date.
However I want to buy a good compressor from the beginning!!

For woodwork its not a problem cause I can borrow bits from my uncle who is a woodturner and sprayer by trade and has loads of tools.
In fact I think I'll have a word with him and see what's available over here.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob2: Its just a thought, but wouldnt some of the italian guns be available to you there at a good price?

I've not been able to settle on which gun is correct for me yet. My heart says one, and my brain another!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

I just dont do enough spraying to be in a position to know whats good and bad about a gun, if I put the paint on wrong I spend the time later cutting it back and polishing it. I will end up with a good job, but not the way the pro's would have done it.

Whats the difference between a good and bad gun?

Cheers Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplified, the big difference is quality. Expensive guns generally use better materials, tolerances, and so on. Paints wear out some spray gun parts at an alarming rate if they are being used regularly. Thats not to say that cheap guns are bad. Some of the chinese guns on the market are getting a reputation of being equal to high end guns at a fraction of the price.

Water Based Paints, whether we like it or not, are going to be the future. These paints are regarded as being corrosive. Not many of the old solvent guns can cope with these. Just check how many manufacturers have guns that can be used for both solvent and WBP's...

Another problem with cheap guns CAN be that they waste paint. Sometimes this can be over 50%... Which is part of the reaason that HVLP guns are becoming popular. wastage on these is under 45%.
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ, I came across this picture of a spray gun. It brought back memories of a similar one my father bought to paint the lounge of our new house. The manufacturers recommended it for use with distemper paint so he gave it a go.
It took longer to clear up the mess than it would have taken him to paint the lounge with a brush, needless to say it was never used again.

Quite a claim on this advert "Add £100 to the value of your car!"

Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just print and frame that one... £3 15s for a spray gun. How times have changed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: