classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

indicators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Rustynail

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: indicators Reply with quote

Hello
What a great site. hear in Australia there isnt many auto elecs that will give advice with out trying to make money out of it

I have a wolseley 680 it has traficators but i need to put a normal swich for the indicators i have the swich and stem that goes on the steering colum but how do i hook it up it has a few wires hanging off it is one wire to pos the other to neg and one to the relay and the rest to the indicators
Thanks Rustynail
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rusty,

In the 6/80 steering wheel switch the green with red wire connects to the near side trafficator, the green with white to the offside. Solid green connects to A4 on the control box. Brown with black connects to the horns.

HTH

Peter
Rustynail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: indicators Reply with quote

Thanks peter in Australia we have to put blinkers on we cant use traficators i dont think. i have the stem with a red light on the end the rest goes around the steering colum so i can just turn them on with my finger but i have to wire it to a flasher do you know how to do that
Regards Rustynail
Kaybee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Rusty, easiest way to do it is, go to your local parts guy and pick up a Tridon electronic flasher unit ( 3 pin).... find a 12 v power source on the car that is energised when the ignition is turned on....if it's not already fused the put an inline fuse in the circuit...connect to the flasher unit terminal X...then run a wire from the L terminal to the flasher switch. If it's a Hella switch there will be a small white wire coming from the inside of the lever, this connects to the P terminal on the flasher unit. The 2 remaining terminals on the switch are left and right turn ...run the wires to the lights. Might pay to ask the parts guy if he has a copy of the wiring diagram for you to have a look at.....it is in the Hella parts cataloue and it might make it easier if you can see it first hand, good luck, Col.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: indicators Reply with quote

Rustynail wrote:
i need to put a normal swich for the indicators i have the swich and stem that goes on the steering colum but how do i hook it up it has a few wires hanging off it is one wire to pos the other to neg and one to the relay and the rest to the indicators
Thanks Rustynail

It would certainly be best to retain the steering column switch so that you get auto canceling and you are not adding parasitic switches to you dashboard.

I'm not familiar with modern labeling of flasher units. As KayBee suggests, use a three terminal unit. The three terminals used to be labeled B for battery, P for panel lamp and L for lights so you need to connect the L terminal so that it feeds the solid green wire going up you steering column and connect the B terminal to the A4 on on your control box. If you want a dashboard warning lamp then connect it between P and chassis/gnd.

P is the middle terminal. I can't remember which is which for the other two.

The nearside and offside connections to your old trafficator arms can then simply feed your new indicator lamps.

Peter
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Indicators Reply with quote

Rustynail.

You can have both your trafficators and flashers It involves using a flasher unit for each side. The Green/White to the flasher feed and the output to the R/side flasher lamps. The same applies to the Green/Red for the left side. To have a warning light too, connect the warning light across the utputs of both the flasher units.

Art Smile
Kaybee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter, I think the switch Rusty's referring to is a locally available item that clamps to the steering column mast jacket and has a protruding lever with an integrated warning light on the end, if not, then my reply probably doesn't make much sense. Smile ....and the markings on the Tridon flasher are as stated, they are marked X instead of the B terminal (don't know why) and they are an electronic unit that doesn't require fixed value globes to operate correctly, so they will work with anything from a 3w dash light to an 18w tail light....pretty handy really.... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: