classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Floor ribs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Floor ribs Reply with quote

I am making myself up a section of the front floor of the trax but the original has rids running width ways, How would you refabricate these. I thought of using a piece of 1" flat bar under the sheet and tapping along the edge to fold it over the profile, anyone get any better ideas

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how it can be done with very basic tools

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2640
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW I missed that post it can be done then, its given me impetus to do it myself now, a new floor is 350€ to buy Rolling Eyes

47Jag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeney,

If the ribs are top hat section set into the floor you could use the flat bar. In the top picture I used a ballpien hammer with the metal supported by two parallel lengths of CLS which were fixed with to maintain the gap. The finish is rough which prompted an experiment in metal pressing which involves three pieces of metal which has a male and female impression of the swage. The male and female are cut from one piece with about 5mm gap (I used a cutting torch BADLY). The male is attached to one plate and the female the other using countersunk screws. The metal to be pressed is placed between and the two assemblies and pressed together under a hydraulic press. I hope to use this idea to press the inner rear wing swaging for my Jag. (If I can escape from SWMBO's desire to rebuild the house). I haven't worked out the details of keeping the plates aligned yet and of course the metal thickness has bearing on how much pressure is required to form the indentation.

Art
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very good, although I havent invested in a press yet I will drop hints for xmas
I have a good 6" thick concrete floor in "petit maison 2" will be the ideal place I think.
Thank you for your help, im all fired up now Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: