classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Soldering and heated rear windows
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
52classic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Soldering and heated rear windows Reply with quote

Not quite a classic car but certainly a classic problem that needs a bit of inginuity to fix.

Amongst our family fleet we have an Isuzu Mu and the spade terminal has fallen off the HRW.

Could be an easy job for soft soldering but what odds that the heat would crack the glass?

If it was a Frontera I would not hesitate to chance it but rear windows for the Mu version are proverbial hens teeth!
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a special adhesive for element repairs
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Frost sell the paint on stuff here:-

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8934&frostProductName=Electro%20Connector&catID=18&frostCat=Electrics&frostSubCat=Miscellaneous&subCatID=21

Hope that is what you wanted, not sure if it strong enough to hold a terminal.

I wouldn't try solder, I once cracked a screen with some glue, heating up as it dried.

Cheers

Dave
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I soldered the one on my DS with great success but I had a spare screen
It shouldn't break as its toughened, I did keep the soldering iron off the glass though and just drip the solder on to it
The decision is yours, don't take my word and then sue me if it doesn't work Rolling Eyes Laughing

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
52classic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads.

Doubt if the glue wil bestrong enough especially as the repair is on a hatch which will be opened lots of times.

Looks like it's a case of getting up the bottle to try soldering but with great care.

My thoughts were to 'tin' the terminal then try to get it to stick by relying on conduction to the bit on the window.

Will report on how I get on... Next post may be 'Can anyone help with finding a Mu rear window!'
52classic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads.

Doubt if the glue wil bestrong enough especially as the repair is on a hatch which will be opened lots of times.

Looks like it's a case of getting up the bottle to try soldering but with great care.

My thoughts were to 'tin' the terminal then try to get it to stick by relying on conduction to the bit on the window.

Will report on how I get on... Next post may be 'Can anyone help with finding a Mu rear window!'
SV8Predator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'glue' will certainly be strong enough. All it's doing is holding the contact on to the glass.

There will be no 'flexibility' issues with the hatch opening and closing, because that will be accommodated by the wire near the hinge area, and nowhere near the actual connection to the glass.

So I think I would try that, rather than soldering. . .
Finch661

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i glued the tab wire to the window seal (using standard super glue), then spread the wire on the tab. then i found some conducting siver paint in halfords, and just coated the wire and tab with the silver pain. a couple of layers did the trick. i have no problems so far
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: