classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

balance weights on new tyres
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: balance weights on new tyres Reply with quote

I have just had two new tyres fitted on my Volvo 120 estate.Before I went I removed the hub caps and wheel trims to avoid possible damage to them during the change at the tyre depot.
I tried refitting the wheel trim only to find that the balance weights on both wheels are preventing the trim seating satisfactorily and that they are distorted and likely to fly off and be lost / damaged.
I would be grateful for suggestions.For example is there any reason the weights could not be located on the inner rim? How much difference is it likely to make if I just removed weights,for example adverse wear and/or
vibration? Will I get weights from local motor factors?
The depot who fitted the tyres are along way away or I may have gone back to them.
Thanks in anticipation,
oldtimer
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres should be balanced on both sides (although not necessarily on both sides) so it will upset it completely by removing them.

You may be able to get some stick on types for alloy wheels from a local tyre fitter which do not interfere with the hub cap.

Most balance weights used to be sculted out to avoid this as plastic tyoes used these days can often be even a closer fit.

It is not good idea to drive with unbklanced whhels as it causes tyre and suspension/transmission wear particularly at speed
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: balance weights on new tyres Reply with quote

Hello Phil,
Thanks once again for your prompt and clear reply.It certainly seems that my "brainwave" solution of moving the weights to the back of the wheel is a non starter.
Just proves that a little learning is a dangerous thing!

Regards,
John (oldtimer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: