classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lucas Single Speed Windscreen Wiper Motor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
TonyBrooks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Lucas Single Speed Windscreen Wiper Motor Reply with quote

I am rewiring my Talisman and despite my best endeavours, some of the markings I made to the original wires have slipped off! I am lost on how to wire up the wiper motor - on the motor itself there are terminals marked 1 and 2 and a seperate one which I am assuming will be earth. So what goes to where bearing in mind that I have presently no wires of any description going to the switch itself. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a single speed or 2 speed self parking motor?
TonyBrooks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only had one speed and it didn't self park but that may because the previous owner hadn't wired it correctly.
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what the motor is off?

You will need to use a meter to determine/confirm which connection is earth, then which is live. It possibly is self parking which would be the 3rd wire
B

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony, this is now a bit old, but you don't seem to have received an answer yet.

It sounds similar to the Lucas DR2 on my Healey, which I've just replaced (the wiper motor, not the car !) If so, then yes, the separate terminal is for an earth connection. The terminal labelled 2 gets a feed from the ignition-switched fuse, and the one labelled 1 goes off to the wiper switch (the other side of which goes to earth).

The reason for the direct connection from the motor to earth is to allow the motor to self-park, i.e. for it to continue running after the switch is switched off.

Hope that helps !
TonyBrooks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. As no amount of electricity could get it to move I dismantled it and found a brush missing and bits of metal everywhere. Given up on it as a bad job and am buying a pattern 2 speed repalcement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: