classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

35 Hillman shackles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: 35 Hillman shackles Reply with quote

Can anyone help me please. I need to locate a pair of new rear shackles for my Hillman. They are the cast variety with bronze sleeve inserts (please see picture attached) This the only one I have and its a bit battered. Does anyone know of any out there or a likely source. Also, if I cannot find any, would it be possible to use a replacement in steel, and if so, what should I beware of?
I look forward to any helpful ideas
Many thanks,
Tim[img][/img]
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, not quite sure what you are asking for! Are you saying that you are totally missing one spring shackle, or are you illustrating a spare? Personally I would prefer to renovate old (ie get your local engineering works to rebush them rather than make something totally new). I have always guessed that these were forgings rather than castings - someone else may well comment on this. I suspect that your shackles are not unique. Many vehicles with semi eliptics use them, often with metalastic bushes. If you could publish some dimensions maybe someone else could advise an alternative. Again, if you find something with metalastic bushes, these could be converted to bronze bushes fairly readily. Hope this leads to an answer for you!!

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: