classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Preparing a 1954 Series One Land Rover for final colour coat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Preparing a 1954 Series One Land Rover for final colour coat Reply with quote

I have very recently bought an early Series One 86 inch Land Rover. There are multiple layers of paint on it, two reds, blue, white and at least two greens.
The various layers are cracking and reacting in places so all the paint will have to come off.

It's no problem, I've done it before several times with Nitromors and it is not an unenjoyable task provided you are not interrupted while doing it.

After bare metal, I intend to etch prime it all myself but it is afterwards that I would like advice, please.

I have considerable stocks of good quality cellulose filler primer and ordinary primer in two shades of grey as well as stock of good quality cellulose thinners including the anti bloom variety.

If I apply those myself, my plan is to ask a professional body shop to spray the final Deep Bronze Green colour coats in 2 pack isocyanate for durability. Because of the age of the Land Rover, this type of paint is allowed.

Is the applying of the two pack colour coats feasible on top of the cellulose primers?
I am not going to go down the synthetic enamel or polyurethane road, I have seen too many Land Rovers with two year old faded paint finishes.
I can give you only a glimpse of the Series One for the moment in it's dark and photo unfriendly shed location.

[img]

[/img]

Any advice will be gratefully received.
Thank you.

Ellis

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet

Last edited by Ellis on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somebody can tell or show me how to post photos from another forum, I can show you what amateurs can achieve with a little determination and and time.

I have just tried showing some photos from the S2c forum but all I'm seeing are numbers when I try the URL route.

buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I will talk you through posting oics, but I have to go out in a minute, I am sure Rick will help you when he see's it, if he doesn't see it, I will post again later!

Cheers

Dave
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
I have learned by trial and error how to post photos from Photobucket but each forum has different methods - img or url.
The S2c forum uses copy image url whereas here it img and that is why I do not know how to transfer photos from sites with differing methods.
These new fangled computer thingies are a new world to me anyway!

paulbrook

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2k on celly is possible - but a coat of 2k primer as a barrier coat will help a lot. The real danger is that any imperfections or sinkage will come through no nmatter what so I recomment industrial quantities of nitromors or a trip to someone who does soda blasting.
Ellis

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulbrook wrote:
I recommend industrial quantities of nitromors

Nitromors and lots of it will indeed be the solution.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: