classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Making models / plastic kits / scratchbuilding etc?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Making models / plastic kits / scratchbuilding etc? Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

Anyone here interested in model-building, whether kits or scratch-built? Cars, aircraft, ships etc etc just curious really Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
P3steve

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry not for a long time cant seem to build up the enthusiasm these days, might get the oo gauge trains out the loft one day though
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since school

Always had a few Control line aircraft ready for use in the far east and Germany, including three line control.

Radio control Boats and Yachts, with a few home brewed.
Did a bit of competition with them in the 70's

Kits?, anything that takes my fancy.

Not for a few years now though.

Roger
Richard H

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Airfix models, built loads back in the day, also built/converted a couple of radio control boats when I was about 15. But I got distracted by real vehicles and they've been sitting gathering dust since then. Confused
poodge

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had an interest in models of one sort or another.As a kid had the box full of Matchbox cars etc.,only keeping the boxes as long as they stayed in 1 piece,which wasn't very long.My eldest brother was more interested in the German Wiking range,which was slightly smaller and cheaper then Matchbox,but very accurately detailed,being injection molded plastic.
In the 60's I was into plastic kits in a big way,although still buying die cast models as well.In the 70's 1/25th scale trucks were all the rage,and I got sucked in too.
I had 1/8th scale rc racing cars for several years during the early 80's,and later took up rc aircraft.Istill have 1 3D type,but very seldom fly it now.The club I was in was ruined by some idiot who wanted to become a big wheel in the national association,which he never did accomplish.
Now I build model steam and ignition engines,and have a steam launch model on the stocks.
I did start a 5" gauge locomotive,a "sweet pea",but gave this up due to a lack of funds to buy the copper for the boiler:(.
Although I am a member of the local model engineering society,I don't attend many meetings,as it's hard to find the time these days.
I also have a collection of around 1000 Lledo models,currently packed away to protect them from the still frequent eartquake aftershocks,and a growing number of Oxford 1.76th scale cars.These really are nice little models,and not horrendously expensive.
stuchamp

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been building models since I was kid..
Everything from plastic and wood to some of the newer die cast kits. I probably have between 30 and 40 new unbuilt kits at the moment and another dozen or so that have been started on. I seem to start more than I actually finish now days.
I have a selection of cars from 1/32 to 1/8 scale. Aircraft are mostly plastic WW2 Warbirds in 1/48 scale. I also have an unfinished wood & fabric B-17 with a 36 inch wingspan. I have also built boats from scratch using balsa.
I have about 50 finished models on display. Had a lot more but have given many away over the years.
I also do HO & O gauge model railroading which requires assembling plastic and wood buildings, bridges, etc.
I've done a lot of kit bashing over the years and have boxes of extra and used parts. Sort of like my own model car junk yard. Very Happy
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really my project, but my Son's. However I have been dragged in to his recent 00 gauge Model Railway project which involves trains (of course) but also trams and Minic slot cars.
Result? I have successfully rejuvenated inoperative locos and Minic cars which have been lying around for decades and am now motorising my third Corgi tram, having just successfully built another tram from scratch (with larger wheels) specially to negotiate a Minic Motorway road/rail junction with which scale wheels cannot cope.
One of my biggest problems was cylindrical brushes for Hornby locos I had as a kid. Until I had a brainwave and dismantled zinc/carbon batteries and found an endless supply of carbon rod of exactly the right diameter for the motor brushes in, AAA batteries.
I must say that his efforts are quite remarkable with several trains, three trams and up to 4 cars/lorries/buses available at any one time. The whole thing can look bewilderingly busy!
All this would have been prohibitively expensive had most of the "hardware" not been already "in stock". Minic Motorway cars and accessories on ebay are often into three figures EACH (collector value). And it would be easy to spend well into four figures for loco's and rolling stock.
Jim.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Just tried imageshack to post this picture - and IT WORKED FIRST TIME. No problems. MUCH easier than photobucket.
Anyway, this is my scratch built tram. Probably not like any tram that ever saw service, but it looks quite good on the railway layout. As you can see it runs on a dedicated tram track. It also travels along the road behind the garage amid the cars having joined the road at the troublesome junction designed for coarse Triang wheels. Further on it crosses the road at a level crossing negotiated by moving trams and cars.

Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
WOW! Just tried imageshack to post this picture - and IT WORKED FIRST TIME. No problems. MUCH easier than photobucket.
Anyway, this is my scratch built tram. Probably not like any tram that ever saw service, but it looks quite good on the railway layout. As you can see it runs on a dedicated tram track. It also travels along the road behind the garage amid the cars having joined the road at the troublesome junction designed for coarse Triang wheels. Further on it crosses the road at a level crossing negotiated by moving trams and cars.

Now I'm getting the hang of this here's another photo. Showing one end of the unfinished layout. I won't bore you with more of my new-found skill!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jim.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid I have to plead guilty on all counts. I have been a keen plastic-builder, but then got into scratch-building for railways. I have worked in many different scales. Below is a typical Victoria Railways signal box of the 1890's along with a closed wagon. Both are modeled to a scale of 1:120

Oh, I forgot to mention, the wagon has sliding doors!

The Signal box is all balsa wood, and the wagon is high impact styrene. Why model to such a size? Well I didn't want to use up a lot of raw material.
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I love anything made in miniature, I have in the past made Airfix kits and still have a large collection of made and un-made even though it's been years since building one Smile
Made cars, boats etc. Radio controlled etc but now I Scratchbuild working Fairground Models in 1/16 th scale which I exhibit at Shows when not taking the Classic Car.....here is a couple of links to my Waltzer model if anyone likes that kind of thing Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7uz43CST7Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV1un28qJxY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

All the best,
Greg
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made many, many Airfix 1/72 scale aircraft kits in my youth. (They used to be 2/- each - that's 10P, and were sold in Woolworths back in the fifties)

My model building nowadays consists of the Metcalfe 00 guage railway buildings made of cardboard. They are incredibly realistic.

Keith
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Model was an Airfix Tiger moth.
The last Aircraft I flew in was a Tiger Moth.
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some really odd reason I kept the plans of many of the kits I built as a kid and 45 years on I've still got Airfix, Frog, Revell, Tamiya, Monogram, IMC, Aurora, Jo-Han, Hawk, Lindberg and Bandai plans in a box that I'm looking at right now - oh, if only I had the kits as well!

To give you an idea of just how sad I am, do you guys remember when Humbrol brought out packs of 'Authentic Camouflage Kits' in the mid-1960's - I still have an unopened set of Royal Air Force (European) with a tinlette of Dark green, Dark Earth, Ocean Grey, Duck Egg Blue, Sky Type S and Sea Grey Medium - I really must get 'round to finally painting that Airfix Spitfire! LOL!
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:

To give you an idea of just how sad I am, do you guys remember when Humbrol brought out packs of 'Authentic Camouflage Kits' in the mid-1960's - I still have an unopened set of Royal Air Force (European) with a tinlette of Dark green, Dark Earth, Ocean Grey, Duck Egg Blue, Sky Type S and Sea Grey Medium - I really must get 'round to finally painting that Airfix Spitfire! LOL!

Laughing Wonder how many others have the same, boxes full of Humbrol in the attic, never been cracked open.
I'd hate to say how many kits up there as well.
I think I have the full set of AMT Trucks, 1/25th
And almost the complete set of Tamiya 1/12 bikes.
And -------
Most unopened
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: