classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dinky & Corgi Models.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Billf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Dinky & Corgi Models. Reply with quote

Hi.

I have a few Dinky & Corgi Models to restore. I have reproduced the British Rail logo's on the computor, but does anyone know i get the logo on the screen down to the size i require,

Thanks.

Bill.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Download Irfanview. It's freeware and works very well.

http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/3000-2192_4-10021962.html

Then IMAGE, RESIZE/RESAMPLE and set the size by percentage.

Peter
Billf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter.

Thank for the link.

Bill.
52classic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be nice to get a Dinky /Corgi thread going.

I have probably over 100, dating from 50's 60's and restoration remains a 'round tuit' project.

My favourites are Spot On - I've even still got the club badge!

The horse box is intersting. What method was originally used to apply the lettering and logos?

From time to time there's some domestic pressure to sell the Dinkys to fund the restoration of my real cars. Sensible I suppose!
Ironhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello 52 Smile i've got a small collection of Dinky's etc.i had a large collection till i had to sell some to fund repairs on the 'real'thing.i will buy a few more when/if finances improve!
Billf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 52classic.

Quote. "The horse box is intersting. What method was originally used to apply the lettering and logos"

They were transfers. You can buy them on. Where else but Ebay of course. That's why i thought i would try to do my on logo's on the Laptop.

But we are at the moment living in North Cyprus. and according to the rest of the world North Cyprus does not exsist. So a bit difficult to get stuff posted here. I get friends who are coming from the UK to get most of the stuff i need, as you can't buy it here.

I am also looking to buy a "Restoration Job" but as soon as this lot know we are english, the prices shoot up.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a phase of buying old toy cars, including Dinky etc etc. I stuck mainly to racing cars simply because I knew it'd get pricey if I tried to collect all the road-going toy cars Dinky (and the rest) ever produced.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Billf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just searched on the old internet, and you can buy Transfer Paper.

http://www.themagictouch.com/dct.html

And they have a stockist in South Cyprus, so will have to have trip over the border and see what they have.
alan 869

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ve got a nice little collection of Dinky, Corgi, Spot On and Tekno amonst others. I happen to have the big Dinky book and the Big book of Corgi aswell. The Corgi book is great, lists month by month all the new models that came out.

Kyrenia and the Pan Handle were good places to drive around when I was in UNFICYP in 72-73....
Billf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan.

Kyrenia is not so good now very busy with mad merc taxi drivers, and tourists tootling along in open top rented little Susuki Jeeps.

But the Karpass or Pan Handle is very quite, there is a brand new tarmac road all the way from just outside Kyrenia to almost the end of the Karpass.

The beaches there are fantastic.
alan 869

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the Aviation Flight at camp UNFICYP, a stones throw from the airport in Nicosia. My mate and I could usually get a landrover when we were off, so we toured the island. Remember snorkling from the beach in Kyrenia out to the little island just off shore. As you say the beaches along the -Panhandle- were really good but many were quite stoney. No road as such back then, just small tracks, but the landrover managed okay. Farmagusta and Flamingo Bay. Also nice spots before the invasion. Stavravoni (spelling?) Monastery.... Razz
Billf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan.

Well the North & South, (The locals from the North call the South "The Dark Side") are still at loggerheads, it's in the newspapers every day here.

Both sides will not budge an inch on the reccomendations made by the peace keepers.

But over the last few weeks the president of Turkey has said. "If a solution to the border problem is not found He will sort the problem himself" And we all know what happened the last time. The Turkish president is really fed up with the more than 30 years of talks which never get anywhere, NATO is also getting fed up as well.

The two sides will never ever agree to any plans put to them.
alan 869

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hate to say it (no I don´t).... I side with the turks. The greeks had been ripping off the turkish population since the brits officially left. In 1960 roughly 50% of the area and wealth of the island was turkish (although the turks, when I was there, always refurred to themselves as Cypriots). Time and time again the greeks with the help from the mainland pushed the turks out of all the -good- spots and even massacered the inhabitants of some villages because they could speak turkish. The turkish cypriots put up with it for a long time (even Makarios) but in the end had to ask mainland turkey for help as they didn´t have any defenses against the -government- of the island (greek cypriot malitia and greek mailand troops) when Makarios was deposed by his own side.

We had an old couple how used to eek out aliving making us egg banjos and tea on the camp, in their little shop. He was Lebanese and his wife was Turkish. He had owned a factory about 10 years previously but one night the greeks turned up, beat him to a pulp and set the place ablaise. Why you might ask..... wife was Turkish.

All the turks (I mean Cypriots) I talked to said that all they wanted was peace. They didn´t like the turkish army on the island but they knew that if they left then the slaughter would continue. The turks were alwasy courtious when you went shopping on their side of the green line, all the prducts were genuine and at a very good price. You had to watch the greeks. A lot of them were knifeers so one of us usually had a 9mm along when we went anywhere on their side. Murchendise was rubbish. At the flicks there would always be a few greek propaganda films of some greek general handing out sweeties to a few bods in Athens. We used to jeer at it and chuck our toffees and malteesers at the screen. In my experience the greeks were usually all mouth and no trousers. My mate and I got cornered by 4 greeks one evening and when we rushed them they turned (not after I´d put one out). The UN uniform was the blue beret and shirt with the UN cloth patch. I still wore my stable belt which made quite a few of the greeks growl a bit. EOKA had had quite a bit of trouble with the regiment I was in before they got independance. The maroon colour coupled to the wings on my right shoulder used to make a few of them -boil-

The turkish soldiers were great lads. They waved as we drove through the check points on the way to Kyrinia. They were all farmers boys and poor. You could buy 200 No6 at the NAFFI for 50p so we got in the habit of -pelting them- with these (just as a gesture of good will Wink )
But hard as nails. I´ve seen 200 of them march in full kit, in 32C, stright up the side of the Kyrenia mts (well actually march and jog Shocked ) They were fit.

Ever wonder why the turks stopped their advance when they had taken exactly 50% of the island?. Just getting back what the greeks had pinched since 1960. The turks could have taken the whole island without any probs at all. But didn´t. Last time I jumped was in Sep 73 in thrace on the border with Bulgaria. Us the yanks and the guys who jumped on Cyprus the year after. No flies on them at all. Tremendous soldiers.

Sorry, rant over. but untill the turkish Cypriots get the same human rights as the greeks have always enjoyed then the turkish army will have to keep the greeks at bay.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: