classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Caravan rescued from a garden any ideas??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Clarina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Caravan rescued from a garden any ideas?? Reply with quote

We have just rescued a small caravan from a garden, that has been there since approx 1977!! The elderly lady we purchased it from, had bought it from a local farmer, to use as a study for her sons. It had not been moved since it was moved there in the 70's. Think it is possibly 1960's??
It is 8ft long, 6ft wide, has a fridge, sink and small cooker on one side, bed/settee along the other, this pulls out to make a double bed. There is a small wardrobe to the right of the door, space for a 'bucket & chuck it' in bottom.
The tow bar says 'Leason' and the whole chassis seems almost too large/robust for the size of the caravan.
It is dry inside, although the rear door is rotten, the lady used to paint the caravan nearly every year!
Although very well built I just feel it has been home built, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions would love to hear from you.
I am attaching a few photos.
Gill
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/Clarina_2006/Old%20Caravan%20Aug%202011
young van man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there leason made chassis for caravans from the mid thirties they also could supply you with everything you wanted to build your own van complete plans were available as well as cookers electrical equipment corner steadies everythink. your van looks to be a home built van from the late fifties. Hope this helps yvm .
Clarina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi YVM
Thankyou for the info, do you know how long they did parts for, for home built caravans?
We also thought it was arround this age, if you have anymore info we would love to hear.
Jim has been very busy scraping paint off of it, has now made a new door! So coming along well
Gill
Dalek63

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this site is an article about leason and a scan of a parts list

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/vintage_trailers.htm

hope it might help.
Clarina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dalec63
Thanks for this info, it looks really useful.
Do you have any idea how long they continued to supply parts for self build caravans? I have tried to find out more info but without any success!
Thanks again
Gill
Dalek63

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarina wrote:
Hi Dalec63
Thanks for this info, it looks really useful.
Do you have any idea how long they continued to supply parts for self build caravans? I have tried to find out more info but without any success!
Thanks again
Gill

Hi
I know they were still in business in the late 1950,s. but its hard to find much info on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: