classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Getting car insurance for US visit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
3xpendable

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Getting car insurance for US visit Reply with quote

I'm visiting a friend inn the US over christmas and instead of me hiring a car they have said I can use theirs but I have no idea what can or needs to be done with regards to insurance. When i've hired cars out there before i have just bought some insurance here in the UK for it but not sure if i can just get a similar thing but for a friends car or if their insurance covers me. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (Uncle)
1971 MGB GT (V8 project) -SOLD 2016
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW - SOLD 2016
RobMoore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most policies these days also include 3rd party driving of anyone elses car so long as its is insured and you have their permission, not sure if that applies only to the UK but since it doesn't actually stipulate then perhaps you could stretch it as it were.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need to worry about it, but check with the owner.
As long as you've got a valid licence (maybe get an International one?) & are over 18 or 21 or 25 I think US policies generally cover just about anyone - within the limits of the specific policy. Rules vary by state, but TPF&T is required almost everywhere, but that's not what it's called! "Fully Comp" is usually called "Collision" & covers damage to the car no matter who is at fault; if you (the owner) simply don't opt for it, you get TPF&T by default anyway.
If you drove my car here, you'd have the same coverage that I do.
Check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: