classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Next project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
alan 869

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Next project Reply with quote

The Willerby Vogue is just about finished now, just have to make a table.

Thought I´d put up a photo of my next (and final) project. It needs a lot of work but is basically sound....

[img][/img]
alan 869

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 70 have had a look but no comments. How are you supposed to interpret that?? It´s a swedish van from 1949. Maybe continental vans are not so interesting? Although there was a bit of interest for the Wesphalia.

Well, I´ll keep going and see if I get any comment Rolling Eyes

The van was made by a swedish firm called Industri AB Thor in 1949. The company made mostly busses. Old man Thor who owned the company thought that camping holidays were on the up after the war an so he asked the constructors at the company for some ideas. He had a few of his own. This was the result. There were 2 models. A longer version (mine) with bunk beds at the back, and the shorter where the bunk beds were deleted. They made quite a few mobile shops on the same design. Even a couple -hot dog stands-. About 35 vans were made in total. The first year was 1949 and the last made was in 1955. The last one cost as much as a Volvo PV 444 at the time Shocked Maybe why they never sold in larger quantities. In 1999, I did an article for the swedish campingveteran club news sheet. This was subsequently translated into english and appeared in the Historical Caravan clubs newsheet. Hope the copies are legable Rolling Eyes

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
speedy555

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having enough trouble just doing my 'common' cheltenham, so admire your dedication! Interesting stuff, and the sort of van Id like to do if I was brave enough!!
Dalek63

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any interior Photo's of your van ? Looks very nice, hope to see progress reports on its restoration.
RUSTON

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting project that. We tend to forget that in those days the Swedes drove on the "proper" left side of the road! Cool

Pete.
Fluffle-Valve

Location: At my computer in a bungalow in Duston, Northampton.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Next project Reply with quote

alan 869 wrote:
The Willerby Vogue is just about finished now, just have to make a table.

Thought I´d put up a photo of my next (and final) project. It needs a lot of work but is basically sound....

I like the look of this one...
Have you anymore photo's of it? Inside and out?

RotaryBri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating stuff Alan. It is interesting to see the two stays at the front of the caravan joing the body to the drawbar. This is typical of many early Scandinavian caravans.

I went to the caravan show in Jonkoping five times in the 70s and used to visit Kabe Caravans in Tenhult down the road from there.

I look forward to seeing the photographs of this restoration.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
alan 869

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh, thanks for the interest. Nice to know that one isn´t talking into a void Rolling Eyes

I don´t know how many vans were sold the first year (1949) so can´t tell if mine is the first. Couldn´t have made all that many though. The last one was made as said in 1955 and is still about. As is the Ford Montclair that pulled it. I´ve a couple of articles about the family who owned mine and the family who owned the last one. Will put them up. The workmanship on it is really class. It had stood outside in the Swedish weather for 15 years with a tapaulin over it but everything worked when we fished it out. The door clicks shut just at it did when it was new.

The photos: A couple of the exterior. One the third photo you can see the water filler on the roof. The cap is a period petrol filler cap. Taken in 2005 but the van is in the same condition as then. Only thing I have done to it is get new Pirelli P7 tyres and get the 43 mm ball made. At one stage I ha 9 vans and a trailer tent in my father in laws old barn. After me and the ex parted, I had to move Shocked I sold off many of the vans to enthusiasts and kept 4 (+ the trailer tent). In the back of our garden there is a large shed which was used to house skaffolding. We -remodelled- the garden to get a decent path up to the shed, and then I had a firm lay asfalt on the floor (it had just been earth). When finished I could get 2 vans in (with a few cms to spare). So the Ford-Thor van lives in there together with the Vogue.

Next photo is of the interior looking out the front window. The -cleaning closet- to the left (by the door). Houses some shelves and at the bottom a frame that takes the gas bottle. Under the gas bottle a funnel that lets any leaking gas out Rolling Eyes . In the middle the gas stove (very unusual in Sweden 1949). Next to that the sink with ordinary tap. Next to that the front right had corner where the water tank (in aluminium) is housed. Within the tank, the -fridge-. Then some detail fotos to these features + the cubbard for the plates etc. Last photo is looking to the rear of the van where the bunk beds are. In front of them on each side, closetes for clothes. In front of those, the seats on both sides. The sea backs are quite high (wide). This is because they fold down and have mattresses inside to give good beds. In the middle is the table, which is fixed to the floor. The leaves fold down easily to give access to the rear of the van.

The van is built on an ash fram with aluminium clading. The roof is typical for 40s swedish busses, canvas on plywood. The sides of the broken roof are only used for ventilation. 16 ich wheels and an axel worthy of a truck. Originally one one central red lamp at the back. The family who owned it from new did put blinkers and better stop/side lights on it after a few years.

Yes, the stays/supports at the front were typical for the period. SMV the most well known van maker in Sweden had the front supports untill 1966.
I had the pleasure of spending a whole day in Tenhult interviewing Kurt Blomquist who started and owned KABE caravans till recently. His daughter and son in law now run the buisness. I´ve got him on tape, very interesting.

Well, stop woffling.... the pics Smile

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
alan 869

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Industri AB Thor did most of the time. This turist bus was ordered by the guy who subsequently ordered the Ford Monclair and the last van. He ran a turist bus buisness. This was the nicest of them and went as far as Tunis in the beginning of the 50s

[img][/img]

My favorite bus all catagories. Hand made Wink
Robin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really interesting. Hope you keep us updated as you renovate it. I see from the photos that even back then they had electric lighting
alan 869

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the lights and switches are 40s bus bits. Unfortunately I´m not too well at the moment so it will take a while before I start on it. First thing is the roof. New plywood and then canvas on that. Then linseed oil and paint. There are no brakes on it which makes things easier. Want to have a good look under and see if the axel needs blasting. The state of the wood floors under it also a concern. Mind you there are no -sags- when jumping up and down on the floor. Want to take the lights off and get them refurbed. Managed to get 2 new blinkers that are high up on the back corners. When I´ve finally finished with the Vogue I will swop them around so that the Vogue goes into the shed first and the Ford after (be easier to get it out for some work) Smile
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great project. I know nothing about old caravans but that'll be very nice when done! Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan
What are the rules about trailer weights and brakes in Sweden?

Here any trailer with an MAM or GVW of over 750 kg must have brakes.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
alan 869

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It´s the same here. Max 750kg without brakes. All trailers are registered just like cars, which is a mixed blessing as they have to be MOT´d every other year. Road tax as well but this usually isn´t too much as the tax goes by weight. The good thing is that you can track an old van just like you can track a car. I´ve got the origianl -log book- for it. When it was registered, the reg number and the owners. Between 72 and 73 the swedes changed the reg number system. Lots of old cars and trailers were never put on the new system by their owners (it cost a bit to do it). This van wasn´t used on the road again when the new system came in but I can get a new reg for it as I have the old paperwork. The old system used a letter and then a number as a reg. -A- being Stockholm of course. AB was Stockholm county. Where I live, the county of Östergötland (east gothland) the letter was -E- This van was sold up north where the county letter was -X- I´ve got the original number plate Wink

The swedes are a bit more generous when it comes to -historic- vehicles. Mainly because a lot of government ministers have been old car freaks Smile

There is a general 30 year, rolling, cut off for tax exemption and MOT every other year. All vehicles registered 1950 or before are tax and MOT exempt. The police are -very good- at stopping old cars and giving them the once over. If they find something wrong then the fines are hefty. So all 1981 models are now tax exempt and they only have to MOT it every other year.

The van weighs over 750kg but luckily enough, vehicles 1950 and older are judged by the rules at the time. So I should get away with it. It´s like seat belts. My Volvo PV from 1956 has never had any belts in it, there aren´t any anchorages. When I MOT it they never comment. BUT if you have an old car where seatbelts were put in as an afterthought then you aren´t allowed to take them out -once in- nomatter how old the car is.

So when I MOT it they will check the chassi number so that they know that what they are looking at is the same as on the paperwork. The hitch (I think I will take a camera with me to get the look on their faces when they see the hitch on it Wink ) It works fine and is safe so there won´t be any probs there. The frame and suspention for rust. The tyres and wheel bearings. Lastly all the lights

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: