classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

two stroke engines.fact or fiction?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
oldtimer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: two stroke engines.fact or fiction? Reply with quote

I have long believed these engines were invariably lubricated by a fuel/oil mixture but I met a chap very recently who claims that a British firm designed an engine where the fuel and lubricant were not integrated in this way.He further believed it had stepped pistons and,having been a motor cycle buff in his youth,that it may have been a motorbike maker that conceived this design but was unsure whether such an engine ever made it into production or off the drawing board or in fact if it ever existed !
I had a vague recollection of mention of "Stepped pistons" sometime in the past but in what context I can't remember and I have racked my two remaining brain cells in vain.
So I have recourse to you chaps as usual to sort fact from fiction in the longsuffering way you have always done previously.My thanks in anticipation.
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
This is a quote from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-stroke_engine.

If it doesn't answer your question maybe the rest of the article might.

Quote:
Most small petrol two-stroke engines cannot be lubricated by oil contained in their crankcase and sump, since the crankcase is already being used to pump fuel-air mixture into the cylinder. Traditionally, the moving parts (both rotating crankshaft and sliding piston) were lubricated by a premixed fuel-oil mixture (at a ratio between 16:1 and 50:1). As late as the 1960s, petrol stations would often have a separate pump to deliver such a premix fuel to motorcycles. Even then, in many cases, the rider would carry a bottle of their own two-stroke oil. Taking care to close the fuel-tap first, he or she would meter in a little oil (using the cap of the bottle) and then put in the petrol, this action mixing the two liquids.

Modern two-stroke engines pump lubrication from a separate tank of oil. This is still a total-loss system with the oil being burnt the same as in the older system, but at a lower and more economical rate. It is also cleaner, reducing the problem of oil-fouling of the spark-plugs and coke formation in the cylinder and the exhaust. Almost the only motors still using premix are hand-held two-stroke devices, such as chainsaws (which must operate in any attitude) and the majority of model engines.

All two-stroke engines running on a petrol/oil mix will suffer oil starvation if forced to rotate at speed with the throttle closed, e.g. motorcycles descending long hills and perhaps when decelerating gradually from high speed by changing down through the gears. Two-stroke cars (such as those that were popular in Eastern Europe in mid-20th century) were in particular danger and were usually fitted with freewheel mechanisms in the powertrain, allowing the engine to idle when the throttle was closed, requiring the use of the brakes in all slowing situations.

Large two-stroke engines, including diesels, normally use a sump lubrication system similar to four-stroke engines. The cylinder must still be pressurized, but this is not done from the crankcase, but by an ancillary supercharger.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
oldtimer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: two stroke engines Reply with quote

Hello Penman,
My thanks for your reply and information.It very much looks as if this was no more than the figment of someones imagination or a sort of Holy Grail
that was searched for but never found.
John
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that I have read of a 2-stroke motor cycle, pre 1920, that used a separate tank for the oil, and that oil was somehow inducted into the crankcase. I have got rid of all my motorcycle history information, so unfortunately can't look it up for you.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roverdriver wrote:
I am sure that I have read of a 2-stroke motor cycle, pre 1920, that used a separate tank for the oil, and that oil was somehow inducted into the crankcase. I have got rid of all my motorcycle history information, so unfortunately can't look it up for you.

There have been several Japanese two stroke motorcycles with a separate oil tank since the 2nd World War. The oil being injected into the bearings and subsequently burnt. My son had a Suzuki GT100 around 1982, which is one example. The advantage of the system was that there was no lubrication starvation when the throttle was closed descending hills. The disadvantage was remembering to keep an eye on the oil tank level.
As for stepped pistons, that rings no bells, but there was a German two stroke (Zundappe?) which had two pistons in parallel cylinders on the same crank-pin. Often called a "twingle" engine in this Country, though in the U.S. a "twingle" usually means a re-cranked and re-timed Vee Twin. I have no idea how the Zundappe(?) was lubricated.
Jim.
P.S. Sorry, I did not read Penman's "quote" before I typed this. Most of what I offered is covered in that! Embarassed
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I think the motorcycle with two pistons in parallel cylinders was the Puch.

In the 1970's, the Jawa used a separate oil tank. However, I always used a pre-mixed fuel in mine! That way I knew I wouldn't seize the motor up!

Keith
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Jim,

I think the motorcycle with two pistons in parallel cylinders was the Puch.

In the 1970's, the Jawa used a separate oil tank. However, I always used a pre-mixed fuel in mine! That way I knew I wouldn't seize the motor up!

Keith

You could well be right Keith. I am only sure it was German. Hence the question marks.
Jim.
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The German motorcycle with the stepped piston was the TWN (Triumph Werke Nurenberg) and made in 125 to 350cc sizes in the 50s and 60s.

The Pre-war British two stroke with a separate oil tank was the Velocette GTP, 250cc.

There was a prototype two stroke British engine with stepped pistons, in the 70s I believe, designed by Bernard Hooper when at Norton Villiers in Wolverhampton and was called the Wolf. It never went into production.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
oldtimer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: two strokes Reply with quote

Hello Rotary Bri,
I feel sure your submission is right on the money and ties in with the assertion that there was a British input as an attempt to tackle the problem of separating fuel and lubricant in two strokes.It also seems likely that the attempt came to nothing,for whatever reason,if it never reached production. My thanks to you and all the other chaps.
John
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Excelsior 2-stroke 2 1/4 h.p. motor cycle of 1916 is listed as having- 'petrol tank capacity 1 3/4 gallons, oil tank capacity 1/2 gallon.' Obviously not a machine that used pre-mixed fuel.
oldtimer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: two strokes Reply with quote

Hello again Dane,
I probably did not make it clear at the outset that my query related to an engine which not only fed the engine and lubricated it from separate tanks initially but continued to keep them separate on a continuing basis as is the norm in normal four stroke setups.Apologies for any confusion I have inadvertently caused.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oldtimer, now I understand what you mean. Rather like some of the 4-stokes that had a 'total loss' lubricating system!
Seems to me that it would be possible, although the oil would end up burned anyway. Should such an engine have existed, it would be interesting to know the engineering theory and reasons for doing so.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: two strokes Reply with quote

oldtimer wrote:
Hello again Dane,
I probably did not make it clear at the outset that my query related to an engine which not only fed the engine and lubricated it from separate tanks initially but continued to keep them separate on a continuing basis as is the norm in normal four stroke setups.Apologies for any confusion I have inadvertently caused.

Do you mean re-circulating the oil?
That was possible with an "L" type (2 stroke) engine as fitted to Trojan Vans (of Brooke Bond Chimp fame). Where a piston acting at right angles to the Main piston charged the cylinder instead of using the crankcase. Oil could then be recirculated from the crankcase in the normal way.
I don't know of anyone else who used that engine besides Trojan. And I don't think it was ever fitted to a motorbike.

And Roverdriver, a normal Clerk Cycle two stroke engine IS a total loss engine and can never be anything other.

Jim.
Inglewood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google: Doppelkolbenmotor
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref the Zundapp twostroke engine's they did not make any two piston engine's, i still have a 70cc engine from a late 50/60s Zundapp moped,it was the Puch that used a charging piston,known as the split single.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: