classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tow hitch question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
fordf350camper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Tow hitch question Reply with quote

Hi all on my 1935 caravan i would like to change the towing hitch from a bracket that has a hole in were you conect to a pin on your car.I would like a 50mm hitch instead.Well my caravan has brakes so at the moment the hitch is a rod that pushs the brakes on.But to take the hitch rod off i will have to unbolt a big nut that has a large spring .Will the spring be under tension when i un- screw the nut.Thanks Pete
Dalek63

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually this type of hitch uses a spring instead of the more modern hydraulic damper / shock absorber. Its only in tention when the caravan over-runs and applies the brakes. If in doubt use a socket ratchet with a tube on the handle, so your hand / arm is a long way from the spring when the nut comes off.
Hope this helps
Fluffle-Valve

Location: At my computer in a bungalow in Duston, Northampton.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the spring won't be under any pressure once the nut is un-done near to the end of it's thread.
Scarlet Snail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ring and pin on my 'Mystery' caravan. I thought of changing it to 50mm, but didn't want to spoil the authenticity. As I have not towed it very far yet, I was wondering why you wanted to change yours. Is there a 'hitch' to this hitch that I should know about? Yours sounds exactly like mine.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 'van' also has the old ring'N pin type draw bar connector which I will have to change to the modern cup and ball type. The reason being is simply that if my tow car should breakdown whilst towing the RAC would only be able to rescue the car as they only have the modern tow ball connector for attachment of the caravan.
Scarlet Snail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I was trying to work out if I could fit a 50mm cup hitch to the ring, and thereby using the existing mechanism?
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarlet Snail wrote:
Good point. I was trying to work out if I could fit a 50mm cup hitch to the ring, and thereby using the existing mechanism?

Did you manage to make the progress that you were looking for? I still have to sort my own drawbar to the cup hitch type and this means I have to purchase an new damper rod also. I have found the parts I need at www.towingandtrailers.co.uk
Scarlet Snail

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you manage to make the progress that you were looking for?

Progress on hold while I do some re-fubishing on my Holivan, but I have decided to replace the ring with a 50mm ball type anyway, as the ring fitting rattles and knocks as it is towed. Everyone seems to think this is acceptable practice from the 'vintage' point of view. Will let you know how it turns out.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the guts of my draw bar out and found just the simple rod with brake bumper stop at one end and towing eye at other. In-between and encased in the draw bar are two coil springs separated by an stop in the middle of the rod. On wishing to put the thing back together I can only manage to compress the one spring Confused Also I contacted Indesuspension asking if they could modify my towing arrangement to accept the cup section of the modern system, to which they said no, polity
So now will have to seek out an independent engineering company who may accept the job. This is one of the reasons I asked about towing legislation with old vintage combo's. .
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarlet Snail wrote:

I have now had my tow hitch altered to accept a modern 50mm 'cup' lock. Easy job in the end which retains the original towing eye and can therefore very easily be returned to original by removing two bolts. Job cost just 67 pounds all in. I can email pictures and details to anyone interested.
Fluffle-Valve

Location: At my computer in a bungalow in Duston, Northampton.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures would be good please.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluffle-Valve wrote:
Pictures would be good please.

Sent in your mailbox Smile
Scarlet Snail

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still deciding about the hitch. I have just been speaking to a blacksmith 'down south' who knows a lot about restoring these things. He advises to keep the ring as it is original equipment and also much more secure than a ball. The knocking and rattling can be prevented by a leather loop device which he described to me. It can be rescued by bolting on a socket, and it is less likeley to be stolen!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: