classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Found an old VW camper van - need a bit of advice !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Metal Mark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Found an old VW camper van - need a bit of advice ! Reply with quote

I do hope I am not breaking the rules in any way by asking this but - I have found an old VW camper van in a garden and the owner is considering selling to me for me and my grand son to do up. It is a 1971 model bay window camper that has not moved for (he thinks) 25 years and is in need of some welding and TLC. He does not know what it is worth and niether do I..... so......would £1500 be an unreasonable offer to make ?
Sorry again if I have broke the rules by mentioning money.

Cheer MM
christine lowery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mark
if you are you buying for yourself it's up to you. if it's for a tart up and punt on it's way to much
think of the endless hours of fun welding rubbing down painting and polishing and thats only the out side there's no fixed price you can look them up on the net but again look at the hours of fun to be had for very little cost
go for it mate and have fun
chris
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a completed listings search on eBay for vw campervan; you will see a vast array of prices of recently-sold similar vehicles.
Although they are fetching easily in excess of 5 grand for useable ones, my gut feeling is that 1500squid could be too much if you are going to have to buy a load of panels, paint, upholstery, engine recon etc etc. But if it's a quick tart-up and half a day with a mig then off for the hols, then maybe.
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, it's a 1971 so it should have the sought after splitty type rear lights Smile there are lots of people out there that will pay silly money for rusting VWs, so why not start at 1000 and if not keen set yourself a max figure of 1500.

Many years ago I restored my grandfathers 1970 bay window VW camper, and yes I spent a good 2500 getting it as I wanted, and eventually sold it for 3500, which I am sure didn't even cover my
outgoings let alone the hundreds of hours I worked on it!! But funny thing is that I still look back and wish I still owned it!!

Since then I bought a 1967 splitty Aussie import which I had to pay 6250 for, then spent another 12000 doing it up, and ended up selling for 13850, so theres a lesson in what not to do !!

Nowadays I cannot afford a VW toy, so I am currently restoring a French van instead!!

Good Luck
Steve.
Metal Mark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I think I need to do a lot more crawling over it to decide if its worth it and what are the likely costs. I will do all the mechanical stuff myself (hopefully with my grandson helping) and the interior does not look too bad, its just the painting that will cost big style and I am rubbish at spraying.

Steve, love the french van . Always fancied one of those Citroen corragated panel vans myself, one day maybe.

Thanks all.... MM
jonbott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we got our 72 bay from a garden it had sat for 6 years and was pretty rotten,can imagine it`ll need a lot of TLC Wink
good luck with it
loads of great vw forums/clubs for ya Cool
1972 vw camper
1971 mini project
I must be mad!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: