classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rotate those wheels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Knowsley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Rotate those wheels Reply with quote

Happy New Year to all

Thought I'd share some details with you that I always carry out once Christmas is out of the way

My Royale has not moved since that lovely spell of hot weather we had the beginning of October and after that trip I put it to bed for the winter, put the cover over it and moved all the cushions and curtains into the house for storage.

However, one thing I always love about January despite being in the depths of mid winter is that today I went out and jacked up each wheel and rotated the tyres half a turn. The reason.....leaving the van stationary for 5 or 6 months can cause the tyre walls to crack and collapse. Those who use their vans all year and those who jack up their vans and put winter wheels on don't have to worry!

I store my van with the handbrake off but gave that a few pulls on and off today just to make sure everything was in order there too

Also it's refreshing to pop into the van and make a list of jobs to do ready for the summer holidays

Whilst also in the van this afternoon I checked my 3 containers of salt and all where dry, with no water or moisture in them, but then the weather has been quite mild to date

Anyway, hope the above information helps fellow forum members

David
emmerson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget to drain the water heater!
For what its worth dave, the dtain on the old paloma heater doesn't drain all the water out, and they can (and will!) freeze.
To prevent this , I've cut through the supply pipe under the back of the van. This drains all the water out of the entire system.Then just use a hose pipe joiner to connect it back up again.
Simple and safe!
Of course, the best thing is to use the van, but I realise that someone has to work to keep me in retirement!
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water Heater??? Laughing Laughing Posh van you have there Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

67/68 Thomson Glenelg WANTED
Dalek63

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water Heater ! ? Ahh I know, thats a kettle ! Shocked Laughing
Knowsley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto chaps

emmerson you are the odd one out......and just think, in retirement you've got all the time in the world to watch the kettle boil!

David
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really David, cos my Paloma hasn't worked for years!
Some of our members are really posh though; they have big under- the- seat water heaters, worked by electrickery!
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't believe all you hear about retirement - it's the only really full - time job there is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: