classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Mig Welder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Mig Welder Reply with quote

I’m going to replace my mig welder, currently have a Clarke 100E which has served me well for 15 years, but is now just worn out & a tad under powered, (if anyone wants it they can have it.)

Looking for something with at least 150 amp capacity, there are loads on the market,various prices, but what are the features to look for?

Someone has advised me to look at the output voltage, his advice being that a higher voltage will produce a more consistent weld as the arc is easer to maintain, this seems logical and the more expensive migs tend to work at a higher voltage.

I have also read about migs that can auto adjust the wire speed to match current setting , what are your views?

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, look at the bottom end performance - I'm assuming you are going to be working on the thin sheet metal of cars. With the correct choice, you can go down to maybe 0,5mm.

Easy polarity change, if you fancy getting a bit advanced, is another thing to look for.

I do have my favourite manufacturers, but I am rather reluctant to recommend any of them!

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

Do you only need the polarity change if using both gas and gasless wire?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no. Personally, I can never notice any improvements gained by changing the polarity for gas or gasless wire. Though I know plenty people that do. Maybe its just 'my' style of welding!

Its when I'm welding rusty or dirty metal that I change the polarity, its an old trick!

As far as amperage goes, do you know how much can you use off UK single phase? Is 180A possible? That would be my minimum. Its so long since, I've forgotten!

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you weld rusty metal with a mig?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You can weld rusty stuff with mig, if you try hard, but it is near imposible with tig, in my oppinion! But I have never done Tig so don't quote me on that!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy, you are spot on with your comments.

TIG welding rusty metal is near impossible!

MIG welding is possible, as long as its not to bad, ie, there is some good metal under it somewhere. There are a couple of 'tricks' to learn though!

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

What are these tricks then?

Cheers

Dave
john-saab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site for welding tips...its one of the best i have seen...
welding help
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Cheers for the link I will have a look, I am all up for improving my welding skills.

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: