classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Identify the BBC Prop challenge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
drdean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Identify the BBC Prop challenge Reply with quote

Identify the BBC Prop challenge

Right here's a real challenge for all you keen eyed car enthusiasts.

Shown below is a screen capture from a 1972 Doctor Who story called 'The Time Monster'. In this story the Doctor has fitted a device to his yellow roadster 'Bessie' called the 'Super Drive' which makes the car drive at super speed.

My question is can anyone identify what has actually been used to make this prop?

The inner dials are obviously from an electric or gas meter but I'm more interested in what was used for the surround. It looks like its wood inlayed with chrome. The shape of the chrome around the hole suggests the hole was original and I would guess that the chrome is in-situ but the panel may be upside down or even on its side from its original purpose.

My guess would be that its hacked from a much older car dashboard. I thinks its too early to be a cassette slot and the wrong shape for an 8-track. Possibly a hole for a slot in ashtray? It might even be from a piece of house furniture such as a wooden cased radio or radiogram. Although knowing the BBC props department it could be from anything. I think a bit of lateral thinking will be needed here.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Dean
Mog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be from a washing machine ?
drdean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha. I wouldn't be surprised... Very Happy
I guess the panel is about 6-8 inches long by 4-5 inches high.
I'm still hoping someone will recognise it as part of a chrome inlaid dashboard.
Mog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a juke box machine ?
drdean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mog

That's a good suggestion.

I guess the size of the hole is about 2-4 inches so it could have been a display of some kind. The trim also looks a bit like the kind they used to use on those machines.

The hole reminds me a bit of the slots on some old machines where coins or change might have been dispersed. So it could be from a juke box for that purpose.

It also looks a bit like the hole in a car door side panel where the grab handle would have been.

Anybody got any other ideas?

Cheers
Dean
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, 1970's electric meter????

Dax Rush
Mog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an American company called Super Drive. They could have the registered rights to this name. Check out www.superdriveinc.com/ It is bus/truck related.

Apple Mac also use this term, also on washing machines.

Any prize for getting the answer ????
drdean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nic

Thanks for posting that photo of the electric meter. I'd guessed that the inners were an old electric or gas meter. The position of the dials are slightly different but it's certainly made from a version of one of those types of meters.

It's still the surround that's a bit of a mystery. It may not even be a car related part. It might be from an old radio or piece of electrical equipment.

Hi Mog

Thanks for your suggestions too. I don't think the BBC would have worried about a conflicting brand name here. Super Drive is a fairly generic term - plus the BBC probably got there first. This prop was made in around 1972. So what its made from was probably old in 1972.

Keep those suggestions coming guys...

Cheers
Dean
drdean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Help identify a BBC prop... update Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I started this thread about a year ago hoping to identify what this BBC prop was made from.

I recently managed to track down the retired BBC visual effects man who designed the original prop. He recalls that the prop was custom made from acrylic but that the chome sections were from an old car grille which had been knocking about around the BBC props department.

Does anybody on this forum recognise from which car this bottom chrome section was made from. It's quite a distinctive shape. The bottom edge may have been ground down to fit the contour of the control panel but the 'recess' (handle shape) section at the top looks familiar. It may be from the top edge of a grille (eg the bit that is usually hidden under the bonnet) or it may be from a more prominent part of a grille.

Please bear in mind that this prop was made in 1972 so it was probably made from a car that was (very) old back then. But the grille MUST be pre 1972. The prop is around 15 inches long so the recess section will be about 6 inches long.

The designer thought it might be from a Morris or a Mini but I can't see this shape in either of those grilles.

Hopefully somebody with a keen eye recognises this.

Cheers
Dean

P.S. Obviously the dials are from an electric meter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: