classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Double duck hood renovation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
BarryCambs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Double duck hood renovation Reply with quote

I'm in the process of recommissioning a 1929 Jowett Long Two. We believe this car has been in the family since new!

The car has been stored since 1974 in a dry garage and the hood looks in pretty good shape. The car was in regular use and only came off the road when the owner at the time died. However the hood has been stored folded down and has gone very stiff. I'm worried if I force it up, it will damage it. I understand it is double duck - a layer of rubber sandwiched between 2 layers of canvas.

I was wondering if it could be soaked in anything to make it more supple?? I know there are hood treatments on the market like Renovo, but they look to be more about colour and waterproofing. Has anyone had any experience with these?? Any advise would be much appreciated!

Regards, Barry
Salopian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear the rubber will break up whatever you do to the canvas Barry - I suspect replacement will be needed but hope you are lucky. There are products available for treating the canvas itself revealed by a google search. I always used tent products.
Duck fades terribly quickly takes ages to dry and is a fairly horrible material but nothing else looks the part on a pre war car. Vinyl for me on anything later!
Kelsham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salopian is correct, it is unlikely you will save the hood.

The hood on my BSA three wheeler is about twenty five years old. Last time I raised it. It had shrunk and whist pulling it into position the fabric tore.

I have purchased a second hand industrial sewing machine and a new hood has joined the list of jobs for it.

How hard can it be??

regards Kels.
BarryCambs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

Strangely, my father was talking about making hoods for BSA 3 wheelers last weekend. He owned one in the 50s and remembers making up a canvas hood with material from the army surplus!

We have an auto trimmer very close by with a good reputation, so once it's MOT'd I'll run it down for a quote. At least the original is there to show the construction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: