classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Some help and advise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
rogsmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Some help and advise. Reply with quote

Hello to all.This is my first post on the forum so please be gentle with me.

Ok i havnt as of yet began my restoration project but its something i have wanted to do for a while.Im now in a position to purchase a cheap project which lead me to this forum.Im also in the process of taking a course in smart repairs with a view to possibly starting out on my own,this is obviously a different story but if anyone has an experience of doing this,using this type of service then i would really appreciate any comments or advise.This would be on modern cars as a career rather than a classic car project but as i see it it can only help.

So im looking into possibly starting with a Triumph Herald,i just missed out on a 1968 one on ebay that was mechanically sound but needed some bodywork doing to it.Would this be a decent car to start with.

Many thanks to anyone that answers,i hope i have posted in the correct section and i have a feeling this wont be my last post.
victor 101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your loking for a cheap classic, it rather limits your choice, prices seem to be rising all the time and cars that you could have bought for a couple of hundred pounds a couple of years ago are now probably a thousand.
Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do worse than buy a marina. There is a nice saloon and a van that needs a wee bit of work on ebay. Then there would be 2 of us on the forum. Cool Cool Where do you live.
rogsmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks victor i must admit im finding that for sure.Marina without wanting to insult you they really arnt my cup of tea,which is a pity as you cant beat tea for two.

Im in Essex by the way so a fair distance away.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Herald would be a good starting point, as too would something like a Morris Minor - loads of secondhand and new parts around (admittedly of varying quality re the reproduced stuff), and plenty of candidates to choose from.

Forum user Jim Walker had a Herald project he was looking to sell a little while back, I'm not sure what happened to it (see http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11778).

rgds, RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
earlyamerican

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Herald when new and kept it for about a month which will tell you what I think of them. If you are considering a restoration on one google
Tonys Herald pages which shows a complete restoration.

I do hope that you are not comparing smart repairs / chips away as being similar to doing a classic restoration as the skills and tools required are a million miles apart.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: