classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Our Austin Devon 1951 At Burghley House Stamford
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Our Austin Devon 1951 At Burghley House Stamford Reply with quote

We attended the Burghley House Country Show today,it started sunny and fine but as we left at about 3.00pm it started to rain. Sad
The Austin Devon is totally original and standard.
We have the original invoice from 1951.
You can see an Austin 16 saloon was traded in.
She was purchased by a lady for her chauffuer to drive her around the city of Cambridge.
When she passed away he kept the car. When he passed away his niece who lived in Peterborough inherited the car.
They drove it for a short time until her husband could no longer use it.
I had always wanted the car so they sold it to me.
I am the present custodian,who knows where it will go next. Question

Gresham Flyer
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waauw, She's looks great! and what a very lovely history!
I'm just not shore about the orange indicators on the back..

Kind regards,
Jonathan
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely little car, beginning to miss mine a bit now!

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
welshrover

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a few pics of the 1949 a40 i used to own a few years ago =

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
heres a few pics of the 1949 a40 i used to own a few years ago =

Small world isn't it Smile
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/a40_devon_photos.htm

RJ
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the rear end of a Rover P4 in one of the photo`s.?

I have a Rover P4 100 registered in 1961..great cars.
Prices are now on the up at last, but still a good car for the money.
So much quality,when Rovers were the cars to have,

Gresham Flyer
welshrover

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it certainly is, its a rover 80 i bought it becuase i know the old six cylinder and 2 and a quarter motors from the landrover. the six cylinder was quite fragile and expensive to repair, and not much more power than a decent 2 and a quarter engine, and heavier on fuel .they are a lot rarer in the landrover too.

gresham flyer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you going to rip out those old characterful draughty doors and windows ,and replace them with plastic ones to match your neighbours.?

Its a shame people are allowed to alter the look of a street by doing away with period features,they have done this in our area to some houses.
You obviously like period cars and houses.

Gresham Flyer
welshrover

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gresham ,
the house i live in now is 130 odd years old it still has the original sash windows, front door ,fitted cupboards in the kitchen nothing has been modernized apart from the wiring ,the coal fire is still in the living room and a rayburn oven,in the kitchen, coal fired of course .i dont do modern .if it was good enough for my earlier ancestors its good enough for me . ( too many mod cons these days ,its making the generations today soft. ) ,the light switches are still the bakelite ones from when the house was first fitted with electrics ,and theres no gas where i live either ,all my furniture is victorian up to 1940's-50's. my three piece suite is from 1920 with a drop arm on the sofa.and our cars are a 1965 hillman minx and a 1963 morris oxford, im in the process of finding a stationary engine and generator to power the electrics to my house, ,a friend of mine in dolgellau has been running his house on one for about five years now .
my wifes cousins house is 600+ years old and once belonged to owain glyndwr , the pennel letter was written there to the king of france to help with the rebellion 600 years ago ,it s a great place called cefn caer(hill fort)and he has open days to the public. it was built on the site of a roman fort on the dyfi river between machynlleth and aberdyfi, my family also runa b+b /self catering ,working farm called gogarth hall (around 500 years old),also in pennal
i suppose you could say history and old things run in the family .
Smile Smile Smile
craig

Last edited by welshrover on Fri May 11, 2012 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

I used to drive through Pennal regularly and when coming in to the village from Machynlleth there was a bungalow on the left with a Hillman Super Minx parked in the drive just rusting away. Is it still there?

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Classicars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Austin Devon 1951 Reply with quote

Hi,
That is a very nice Austin Devon that you have! Is it possible to post some photos of the headlining especially the area infront of the interior light. Curently I am re-uphostering my Devon and I am not sure if the headlining is stepped up at the front. Any photos will help.
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Victor
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
hi gresham ,
the house i live in now is 130 odd years old it still has the original sash windows, front door ,fitted cupboards in the kitchen nothing has been modernized apart from the wiring ,the coal fire is still in the living room and a rayburn oven,in the kitchen, coal fired of course .i dont do modern .if it was good enough for my earlier ancestors its good enough for me . ( too many mod cons these days ,its making the generations today soft. ) ,the light switches are still the bakelite ones from when the house was first fitted with electrics ,and theres no gas where i live either ,all my furniture is victorian up to 1940's-50's. my three piece suite is from 1920 with a drop arm on the sofa.and our cars are a 1965 hillman minx and a 1963 morris oxford, im in the process of finding a stationary engine and generator to power the electrics to my house, ,a friend of mine in dolgellau has been running his house on one for about five years now .
my wifes cousins house is 600+ years old and once belonged to owain glyndwr , the pennel letter was written there to the king of france to help with the rebellion 600 years ago ,it s a great place called cefn caer(hill fort)and he has open days to the public. it was built on the site of a roman fort on the dyfi river between machynlleth and aberdyfi, my family also runa b+b /self catering ,working farm called gogarth hall (around 500 years old),also in pennal
i suppose you could say history and old things run in the family .
Smile Smile Smile
craig

Somehow I missed this before, really interesting to read about your home's features Smile Maybe a thread on old houses is in order??

RJ
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post some photo`s tomorrow (tuesday) of the headlining. Any other parts of the car.?

Gresham Flyer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: