classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Reaming towing eye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reaming towing eye Reply with quote

I need to find an engineering shop that will be able to drill/ream out the towing eye on my vintage caravan drawbar. I do not want to remove the drawbar from the caravan as it is a nightmare job to bolt the thing back into place.
I have a new towing pin which is 19mm and the tow eye is about 17mm. If somebody can offer me a link as to who may be able to drill this out please. I live in Diss, Norfolk, so nearer the better. Thank you.
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of 18.5mm HSS drill bits and 19mm reamers on eBay.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Uncle Alec, ordered two 20mm HSS drill bits (blacksmiths type) which the shank will fit my DIY drill chuck. Panic over.
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of teaching Granny to suck eggs:

Ensure the eye is held totally rigid before drilling.
Plenty of suitable lubricant - the aerosol cutting oil from Screwfix I find handy.
I would have bought 19.5 drill and a 20mm reamer, but it depends on how clinically accurate the hole has to be - I suspect not very.
All this assumes that the steel is drillable. Probably, given the age of the eye.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Those sizes sem to be quite small, I have a book/catalogue from Indespension and it has a couple if info pages about towing eyes and all it mentions are 30,40,50 and NATO 76mm sizes. it also has diagrams showing correct fitting size of throat etc.

I know taking 3mm out only reduces the thickness of the ring by about 1.5mm but is there a danger of it weakening the ring too much?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "new" pin is probably ¾"; quite a common pin size pre-war.
The "old" hole could be ½" but worn a bit?
If the tow eye is anything like normal it will be at least ½" section hopefully, so no worries there.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for good advise and comments.The tow draw bar is original fitted into a new steel chassis (25 years ago). Measured up and I will be leaving 17 /18mm of steel surrounding the tow eye after drilling out for new pin. The thickness/depth of the metal part of the tow eye is 9/10mm and seems to be extremely solid.
My caravan weighs in at about 3/4 ton and the new draw bar tow devise I have purchased to fit onto my car is rated at 1.5 ton.

The new pin that came with the tow ball/pin/jaw combined is 19mm. Again thank you for advise / comments.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely, in view of the age all parts would have been manufactured to Imperial Measurements?
Why introduce Metric dimensions?
Jim.
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he has bought a new tow hitch with removable pin. They are available only in metric as far as I know.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Alec wrote:
I guess he has bought a new tow hitch with removable pin. They are available only in metric as far as I know.

Yes indeed, no choice with some of these details, I don't suspect many will be getting out the callipers to prove my errant ways Wink
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bayliss Thomas wrote:
Uncle Alec wrote:

Yes indeed, no choice with some of these details, I don't suspect many will be getting out the callipers to prove my errant ways Wink

Very true, But I always have in mind how many Imperial nuts and bolts on older vehicles are replaced with Metric as "near enough".
Worse still though was when a friend replaced wheels on Triumph hubs with Fiat wheels as "near enough" (in p.c.d.). He never could understand why his "near enough" wheels kept coming loose.
Jim.
welshrover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bayliss Thomas wrote:
Thanks Uncle Alec, ordered two 20mm HSS drill bits (blacksmiths type) which the shank will fit my DIY drill chuck. Panic over.

make sure you hold on tight to your drill, with drills that size in a hand drill. you could be in for a broken wrist if your not careful Sad
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
Bayliss Thomas wrote:

make sure you hold on tight to your drill, with drills that size in a hand drill. you could be in for a broken wrist if your not careful Sad

Yup I found out exactly what you meant by the warning! Happily no broken wrist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: