classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Mounting and testing a 1940s XPAG engine
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P3steve wrote:
I have been reading with interest the replies to this and it makes me think back to my time at Tech collage doing my city and guilds in motor vehicles. We had a fully equipped workshop there but also an engine test area with half a dozen engines in test rigs and even a Triumph herald rolling chassis which was drivable and I seem to recall in mint condition, there was petrol and diesel engines in all shapes and sizes but the prize for me was a Daimler V8 4 ½ lt from a Majestic Major I believe all. These engines as I said were on test beds with remote starting panels with all the switch gear and gauges. The point is I cant understand why an establishment like a university hasn’t got at least some basic facilities or some one in the know.
By the way it was North Notts collage of FE in Mansfield

Rather different from when I applied for a job there. It seemed that the Head of Department considered the motor vehicle workshop as his priveleged parking-spot. His almost new pristine motorcar was parked right in the middle. With students milling all round it and likely to damage it.
There was no sign of the equipment you mention, but then the Daimler V8 was a very new design at that time.
I walked away without staying for interview.
Jim.
P3steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim sorry to hear that mate it would have been the late 1970s to the early 1980s when I was there and I think the chap who was in charge was a ginger haired chap called Dave Mallinder, He did do a scam where he serviced the other teachers cars or we did as "part of our training"and he charged them though he did slip you a bit from time to time to keep you sweet.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P3steve wrote:
Hi Jim sorry to hear that mate it would have been the late 1970s to the early 1980s when I was there and I think the chap who was in charge was a ginger haired chap called Dave Mallinder, He did do a scam where he serviced the other teachers cars or we did as "part of our training"and he charged them though he did slip you a bit from time to time to keep you sweet.

I suppose Dave mallinder may have got the position I walked away from!
Jim.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what happened ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: