classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bronze bearing manufacturers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
exbmc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Bronze bearing manufacturers Reply with quote

I need a little help, finding a company who can restore bronze crankshaft bearings. A company in Chesterfield, were recommended, but have found they no longer do this work. If anyone has any information, could you post it up please? These bearings are no longer obtainable, so the job would involve removing the existing bronze, from the steel shells and remetalling. Then boring to size, because it's not a blue and scrape job, so i understand anyway.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth speaking with Arnett's in Doncaster (I think), they did the truck engine and had to re-metal the bearings in that. Worth asking the question anyway.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
IanAl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you will have some luck with Ricks suggested company, but if you are still stuck try http://manufacturing.zibb.co.uk/profile/c+b+s+rotary+power+motion+ltd/gb/worcestershire/kidderminster/dy10+1jr/26011854
exbmc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: bearings Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, that's a start. I will have a google for some contact details.

Ian, thanks to you as well. You posted within seconds of me. CBS looks very hopeful, and my boss's brother lives just up from them in Kinver, so a trip to take parts and a family visit could be on.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A company called Coventry Boring and Metaling used to do that sort of work. I don't know if they still exist
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Martin went to a place that did that on the Loco he was helping restore
in How Britain Worked (Channel 4) here is a clip watch the vid from about
35 minutes onwards (sorry if theres ads painful isn't it.....)

http://youtu.be/Rl5Dmfhm0u0?t=35m
exbmc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: bearing makers Reply with quote

Yes they do V8. I have just had a google, and CBM are very much still in business. I will be able to have a ring around tomorrow. It's the material that bothers me to be honest. I have no idea of the spec of this bronze material, or if anyone works with it yet. White metal remaking would be so much simpler, but i don't think we can change to it.
The engine, for anyone who is curious, is an Elizalde Tigre 150hp.
It is a Spanish engine, to go in a Casa Jungmann, that was a license built version of the German Bucker Jungmann, a back end of WW2 trainer biplane. this particular unit, was built in 1948, so quite new compared to some of the stuff members on here tackle! Wink
Thanks also to D4B, i'll have a look at the vid.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
You might find there is a need to get a particular spec in order to get your engine re-certified at zero hrs.
I wonder if shuttleworth (or one of the other major aviation museums) would be able to help with sources for aviation metals.

Alternatively one of the other owners of CASA 1-131 s might be able to help.
http://tinyurl.com/atvtwv9

Is yours on the list?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
exbmc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: bearings Reply with quote

Penman, i should have said, it isn't mine. I work part time at a local airfield, mainly on the engine side. This is the sort of thing i get involved in, from time to time. Most work is on Lycoming or Continental products, spares and manuals all to hand. I work along with a CAA licensed engineer / LAA inspector who checks my handywork. This will be a permit engine, rather than C of A release.
It has to be spot on anyway, but the paperwork is much reduced.
We know the valve clearance is .012", and the cylinder base nuts are 60 ft/lbs, so we obviously need to obtain much more before anything is manufactured or put together. The owner has a photocopied Spanish manual, but it doesn't help a lot really. The engine has been years out of the air, and came with the aircraft. It is flying about on it's current 125 hp Tigre, and we hope to have the 150 ready for the back end of summer. G-BPTS if you want to look it up.
Salopian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked it up and somewhat Tiger Mothish to my non flyers eye. Can only say sounds fun and good luck!.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: