classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Buying ash
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Buying ash Reply with quote

Later this year I intend to take my pre war Morris off the road to renovate it.
I expect to have to replace some of the wood frame in the bodywork.
In anticipation of this, I inquired at my local wood supplier about purchasing ash wood. They offered me American ash.
Is this suitable for car work?
Unfortunately i am a mechanical engineer and not a carpenter so buying wood is all a bit strange to me.
Mike
Rosco663

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Mike,

I will also be restoring the coachwork on my Series 1 Morris 8 and have done quite an amount of research - which I will gladly share with you.

The following (I hope) will help with your timber selection Cool . You'll need to scroll down to the Coachwork article as the link I copied desn't take directly to it. (damnit)

http://www.morganownersclub.com.au/technical%20talk.htm#CoachbuildingTimberSelection

And as I come from a land downunder I will be using Spotted Gum.

The next link will hopefully give you more insight as to how to better select your timbers and some techniques as well - 'cause I know everyone likes a good old 'how to' article Wink A good rule of thumb when buying any timber is to hand select it from well seasoned stock. have your timber supplier thickness it you your requirements as this will save you so much work and heartache. Crying or Very sad

https://sites.google.com/site/morganatica/bodywork-and-chassis/body-frame

Cheers
Kelsham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ash was used because it was easy to cut and bend. I have just finished rebuilding a 1931 BSA four wheeler body and used a mixture of Ash and Oak.
Mainly because I was swapped the Ash for some headlining material and had some Oak in the garage surplus to requirements.

Some years ago I rebuilt an SS body 1935 and saw it recently still in good order. For the SS I used a hardwood that a local coachbuilder sold to me, they used it for building van bodies. Sorry can't remember the name, it was a red wood and pretty hard.

The BSA cars and Trikes were built using cottonwood. I suspect price was the decider.

Kels.
Miken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosco,
Thanks for replying with the Morgan information.
So,reading it, It would appear that American ash was used for coach building and so should be suitable. Screwed and glued with Araldite.
And oak can be used for the sillboards in contact with the chassis rails.
As just about every European ash tree in the UK has been cut down and burnt over the last year due to fungal infection I'm guessing that American ash is the only type that will be available for some time .
I dont think my wood place will be able to obtain Aussie spotted gum.
I wonder where "copper naphthalene" can be obtained? And if not, what is the next best thing to preserve the wood?
MN
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a panic just now about European Ash. There is loads of it around; most timber stockists can supply.
And I much prefer European Ash, it seems so much more resilient. Different species to American.
Having said that, I do have a garage full of European Ash which might be biasing me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: