classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MoT changes 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am left wondering why historic vehicles have been exempted from the M.O.T. if the intention is to weed them out?

Aside from the fact that pre-1960 vehicles had an exemption [as do many other, far more modern, vehicles!!]...from years ago, the start of the ''rot,'' in my view ,stemmed from the EU's initiative.
The EU had the idea of exempting vehicle's over 30 years old....!

The UK took a more conservative view, at 40 years!

IIRC, the major motivation centred on the computer programs the DVSA use to conduct & monitor MoT's.
Seems the system was beginning to get very clunky as each year passed, and more & more areas for examination came to the fore?
These new areas being brought about by the ever-advancing automotive technologies.
Possibly also reducing the chance of testers applying subjective views....An attempt to turn the MoT test into the McDonalds system, whereby, wherever one went for an MoT, the testing standards would be applied exactly the same..As with McDonalds menu and quality being exactly the same, wherever one goes.

Personally I cannot see what the problem really is?
After all, there is nothing to prevent a drive/owner from having their pride n joy put through the MoT test, is there?

Or are we unduly worrying about the roadworthiness of every other vehicle we meet on the roads out there?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I am the sort of person who will ignore officialdom until it catches up with me. I can see me ending up in prison for failure to obey Big Brother.

The trouble is that whilst we are ignoring officialdom, it gradually and quietly takes over our lives in the background. Given that this is contained in an FBHVC report, I think that it is time to take things seriously.
Boring Tucson SUV
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
Ray White wrote:
I am the sort of person who will ignore officialdom until it catches up with me. I can see me ending up in prison for failure to obey Big Brother.

The trouble is that whilst we are ignoring officialdom, it gradually and quietly takes over our lives in the background. Given that this is contained in an FBHVC report, I think that it is time to take things seriously.

I am more or less resigned to being criminalised by the so called "Authorities". Every which way there are "regulations" that I either comply with and go bust because I can't (or won't) pay for... or fail to comply and be ruined with closure.

The little man has no future in this Country.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Penman

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever read the list of MoT exemptions?

https://tinyurl.com/MoT-exemptions

Note item (i)

"Do as I say, not as I do"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:

Note item (i)

Typical. That list looks like it was drawn up by someone with little or no experience of the real world. (Probably some spotty oik trying to make an impression on their office manager.)

We have a similar cobblers pertaining to the annual inspection for our Cattery Boarding licence. The latest raft of rules that say cats must not be able to see each other!! and they want us to put up full height solid sneeze barriers that restrict ventilation in the heat of Summer.!!

There is even a rule that says we should have gulley so that the pens can be sluced down. This is because the pen pushers have lumped dog and cat boarding in together not realising that they are completely different operations.!!

I tell the little man from the Council to stick his stupid rules. They have now imposed a 5 star rating system (with no consultation or customer input) and he thinks I am worried about being downgraded. He can think again.

I want to retire but because the licence is not transferable - and any new owner could be subject to expensive alterations or denied a licence entirely at the Council's discretion - my business is unsaleable. No wonder places like this are closing down rather than being sold. I haven't had a holiday for 22 years ... and they think I ought to be worried about their stupid rules. Razz

Sorry for the rant... Embarassed
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:

Note item (i)

It's a case of their being able to prove they have a rigorous maintenance regime.

The UK military have the same exemptions.

Records still have to be rigorously maintained, however.
At one time, London Transport also had an exemption for their buses...Again,they could demonstrate a rigorous maintenance regime [they would probably have done the testing themselves anyway....LT PSV Examiners also dealt with Met Police driver, London ambulance, etc etc testing.]

Also, in certain areas, taxis are exempted from the MoT as well.....Probably because the LA examiners do their testing anyway.....

Nice if one can maintain one's vehicle entirely at someone else's expense?

I wish the council tax precept could pay for more expensive tyres for my motors!

As it is, Event tyres are all I can afford to fit.....regardless of their performance!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Typical. That list looks like it was drawn up by someone with little or no experience of the real world. (Probably some spotty oik trying to make an impression on their office manager.)

Don’t be silly Ray, there is no way that our public officers would accept a single spotty oiks recommendation. No it would have to have 23 revisions with input from 27 other officials, who would have to meet 156 times over at least a 2 year period, before it became approved! And because they would use an a recommended Public Sector approval mechanism, non of them would have to make a decision that they would be accountable for, because the system would do it for them!
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

We have a similar cobblers pertaining to the annual inspection for our Cattery Boarding licence. The latest raft of rules that say cats must not be able to see each other!! and they want us to put up full height solid sneeze barriers that restrict ventilation in the heat of Summer.!!

Why on earth shouldn't the cats be able to see each other? Cats see other cats all the time without issue - even solo indoor cats will see other cats through the house windows. And all the time they spend dreaming up nonsense like this is money that's not available for maintaining the roads that everybody uses one way or another... Evil or Very Mad
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Why on earth shouldn't the cats be able to see each other? Cats see other cats all the time without issue - even solo indoor cats will see other cats through the house windows. And all the time they spend dreaming up nonsense like this is money that's not available for maintaining the roads that everybody uses one way or another... Evil or Very Mad

What annoys me is that we have to pay over £200 to get an inspection then another £88 for the licence ...so over £300 a year for the Council to send a little man to tell you how to do your job, how to spend your money and how to run your business. I wouldn't mind if the regulations had anything to do with animal welfare but they don't.

There are places closing all around us because they can't be sold as going concerns; even the Estate Agents have given up. !!!

Something has to give but I have a suspicion that there is a surreptitious plan to drive out the small independents like me and when a big enough pent up demand has been built the big boys will come in and take over...at much higher prices of course.!!
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:
Ray White wrote:

What annoys me is that we have to pay over £200 to get an inspection then another £88 for the licence ...so over £300 a year for the Council to send a little man to tell you how to do your job, how to spend your money and how to run your business. I wouldn't mind if the regulations had anything to do with animal welfare but they don't.

There are places closing all around us because they can't be sold as going concerns; even the Estate Agents have given up. !!!

Something has to give but I have a suspicion that there is a surreptitious plan to drive out the small independents like me and when a big enough pent up demand has been built the big boys will come in and take over...at much higher prices of course.!!

Your suspicions are, I suspect, perfectly sound. I imagine it would operate on a franchise model, like many driving schools and some dog walking services... the big boy takes all the profit and leaves the franchisee with all the risk and all the work.
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Government Reulations Reply with quote

I think half the public servants spend their time dreaming up what they can add to the regulations/forms/etc and the other half spend their time passing the completed forms around the department. Nobody ever seems to reduce the requirements for anything!
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: MOT exemption Reply with quote

I think avoiding an MOT by not being compulsory for older cars started on continent as they found data showing so few incidents etc UK had at that tiem at adopt ALL EU diktats .. though it is free now to do what it wishes. I have my old car tested every year without fail. MOT. can show me areas it might need service work /repairs. brakes .steering and bodywork for example are very important and whom can test own brakes to ensure they meet requirements other than a proper brake testing machine ? though trained in mechanical engineering I still want a qualified tester to check my car all over. peace of mind plus little worries about an insurance company trying to wriggle out of paying out if we have an accident an dit is going to cost a lot! ( friend worked for one and they will look for excuses to pay nil or minimum possible) hard part is when one says it is up to owner/driver to ensure vehicle is in a road worthy and safe condition..it come s down to argument over they might think and believe that! but in reality it being very unsafe. a simple way forward is for insurance companies to require a valid MOT each year .. if none given then either refuse to insure OR ensure premium reflects any risks ..eg an unsafe car involved in a road collision et c.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the argument that the M.O.T test may only be relevant on the day it is carried out... and that every driver has a responsibility to ensure their vehicle is roadworthy....

What worries me, however, is that in the real world, the same cars that I witnessed being M.O.T. failures on a regular basis when I worked as a "tester's assistant" are now exempt from any form of mandatory inspection.

I don't trust ALL owners of old cars to be as rigorous as the M.O.T. tester in maintaining their vehicles - even though some are. I wonder how many Morris Minors - as an entry level "classic" for example - are driving about with dangerous trunnions. These components failed even when they had been tested within the year - and the test narrowly avoided many a disaster - so how much more likely is a tragic accident now?

It is surely only a matter of time... Sad
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance companies cannot demand a vehicle has a valid MoT, if the vehicle is exempt from MoT. I had this out wth Hagerty some while ago now. They admitted they had provided the wrong information, and corrected their statements.

Whilst an MoT will highlight any failings that are relevant to having an MoT, they won't highlight any other failures to comply with the Law.
[I have listed a couple of examples before. Namely, a non-working speedo, or tinted glass in the front windows that will only allow less than 75% light through.
Nor will an MoT highlight serious corrosion if it is not visible to the tester. For example, a tester cannot remove plastic sill covers, etc, and inspect underneath.

What about the age of tyres? Whilst tyre age is checked for LGVs and PCVs, cars, etc are exempted from that rule. Remember the serious RTC involving an MGB which had decades-old Pirellis all round..the tyres failed, leading to the crash.
Yet, all the tyres complied with the Law.
As such, under the current rules, those tyres would pass an MoT!

Plus, there is the additional fact that a vehicle can have a valid MoT, yet be incapable of passing an MoT a week before the existing MoT expires.
This can, and will apply to all ages of vehicle, regardless of whether they have an exemption or not.
Thus can, and does, lead to complacency on the part of drivers [owners?] simply because there is a length of time their MoT has to run.

[The presence of advisories on an MoT doesn't mean the driver is actually going to do anything about them!}

Hence an Insurer will look for a lack of roadworthiness if seeking to mitigate costs.
This is mentioned in practically all policy T&Cs...

Like all insurance there is a reliance on the honesty of the proposer.

Failure to pay up simply because a vehicle is exempted from needing a valid MoT will land them in Court very quickly indeed. Then the costs they sought to avoid would skyrocket.

But, what to do about a vehicle which has a valid MoT, yet is unroadworthy [IE, fails to comply with the Laws of the land?]?
That is why the Law places the responsibility [the onus] on the driver.

The real issue at stake here is, how often do we see vehicle roadworthiness checks by the roadside?

Obviously a huge logistical problem with enforcement...It's not just for the one day every year...[or, one hour, if one knows how to wangle things]

Then there's the perceived 'safety' question?

A vehicle with but two working brakes can still travel around , and as long as it arrives without incident, is it unsafe?

As mentioned, the statistics actually tell us something very different from our fears.

Insurers also know this, from their records.

This country had the pre-1960 exemption, then the EU stepped in with their 30 year exemption. Which the UK government of the day refused to adopt, preferring the 40 year system instead.

What are the figures for pre-1960 vehicles being found unroadworthy?

I see mention of figures which point to a fair number of exempted vehicles being tested and failing an MoT...
Which, for me, to put things in perspective, happily fails to mention the percentage of non-exempted vehicles failing the MoT?

The realistic answer to our unwarranted fears seems to be, to voluntarily have one's pride n joy examined every now & then, for compliance with the Law?

Then points which an MoT test does not over, can be examined?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: