classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cellulose
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point moggiedriver.

You others: The one thing that I would like to know though, is just what is meant by original? Question
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Orriginal in my eyes is standard to the eye from the factory. Many people say fitting new/replacement panels will ruin the originality, but I would prefere that than many patches and loads of filler holding the orriginal stuff together.

There it is my oppinion!

Cheers

Dave
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
The one thing that I would like to know though, is just what is meant by original? Question

We have to remember that we are involved with a subculture that values a shiny ex. factory bumper bar (fender) over a new fuel pump or wiring loom, such people will bath in the reflected glory of the bright ORIGINAL chromework whilst keeping an old spanner in the glovebox with which to tap the said ORIGINAL fuel pump when it fails every few miles.

We should all pray these people never decide to work in aviation.
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Good point moggiedriver.

You others: The one thing that I would like to know though, is just what is meant by original? Question

Dam good question UJ !......... .I know the guy who restored Nancy Mitchell’s works MGA, (MBL 867) he did it about 15 years ago, the original car was a real basket case I don't think he used any of it apart from a small chassis section, in fairness the original car was beyond restoration. Yes a piece of motoring history survives but is it original? And should we care? Personally I’d rather see cars survive than lost forever.

My Morris 8 Series E survived the 60’s because it fell it to the hands of some one who was a dab hand with fibreglass matting, resin and filler! We would call it a bodge today. But if he hadn’t done it the car would more than likely been scrapped 40 years ago, I’m restoring so it looks like it did when it left the factory it certainly won’t be original but the only one who knows it is me (and you now!!) if I could buy repro body parts I’m sure it would have plenty on ! but you can’t so I am repairing metal and if I see some better panels on eBay I buy them. Like Nancy Mitchell’s MGA my Morris won’t be original, but hopefully will be around for a long time.

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that one, better to see a car on the road than being scrapped.

I'll tell you all a little story about originality. In 1981, I bought a new (italian, which will explain a lot) motorcycle. When I registered it here in 1982, the frame number turned out to be lower than the lowest on swedish record, ie pre-1974. This was despite a plate on the frame saying that it was made 1979.

A few years later, (1994) I decided to put a new clutch in. According to the local dealers, the clutch plate that I took to them could not be from this bike, as it was first used 1990! So they couldn't supply one! As I was going down to Italy anyway a few weeks later, I decided to get one there. in the shop, the dealer asked me a question. Are there some stamped letters on the frame near the headstock? I told him there were. Ah, he said, you have a 1973 frame, that is hand built. You also have an extended sump, and a gear drive cam...and the clutch is correct for that bike! All true.

In 1995, I brought the bike back over to the UK at the request of a dealer to exhibit, 'as it was original.' However, it never got exhibited. Why? Because the dealer said that he only wanted to show original bikes... which mine was.

The moral of this story is: No b****r knows what is or isn't original, so why bother if every part has to be replaced in a restoration? As I said at the beginning, its better to see something survive than be lost forever. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: