classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

warning on wheels
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
StoneRoad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: warning on wheels Reply with quote

With the permission of the originator, I have "lifted" some of the text from a post on another forum. There has been some dicussion and advice from other members there.

It describes a cautionary tale.......

Any Holmes or Watson's out there?
Folks, I've been right royally ripped-off by a joker who 'refurbished' my alloy wheels and scarpered with the cash, only for two tyres to deflate and now the paint's falling off.

He doesn't answer his mobile or emails, and I don't have a street address for him. I've tried all the Internet sites I can think of, and he's not registered at companies house. All I know is that his name is [deleted], his business is [deleted] and he lives around about [deleted]. Here's his web-site [deleted]

Hope this helps as a warning,
but if anyone has been unfortunate enough to have had dealings with this character, please would you PM me.
Thanks
StoneRoad

Sorry, we can't have company specifics and people's names, especially when they're not able to put their side of the story. PM Stoneroad if you want the specifics, thanks. RJ
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A search on whois gives the info that he has chosen not to have his address recorded.
I always thought it was illegal to advertise on or have a web site that did not give your trading address.He also uses a mobile number only which would make me very suspicious.
Thanks for the warning,it might not help those who have been conned but might save someone else from the same fate.
StoneRoad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: dodgy wheels Reply with quote

Appears that *he* attends shows / rallys with a "trade" stand, giving out flyers. And he's booked in for at least one in 2011.

Basically the standard of work is very low.

The gent who started this on the other forum, says about the faulty workmanship: that an expert (ex-Automotive Paint Co. Technical Rep) told him there was no primer present, and some paint had been applied so thinly as to be almost non-existant.

StoneRoad
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents,

I've updated the original post.

We can't have accusations being made to specific individuals or companies, as they're not able to present their side of the case. Plus we're only hearing the other poster's opinion and not necessarily the full story.

Thanks,

R.
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
StoneRoad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, and for general information.....

With regard to the joker who is the object of my OP, the reason this came up on the original forum (and the subject has gone onto several other fora), was because the joker was not responding to emails nor to 'phone calls. Interestingly, no-one has sprung into defence mode.
I understand that the ISP, and trading standards, have been informed!

The gent who made these allegations is well regarded on the forum concerned - I've just checked - he has made 1,904 posts since April 2006, and is a subscribing member.

If anyone wants the deleted info, (or a link to the thread) please PM me.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means post a link to the forum/thread where specifics are discussed, I'd just prefer specifics to not be on here that's all - thanks Smile

R
scott_budds

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m an active member on thelotusforums.com its very well moderated swearing or personal digging niggling is not allowed. On there we have no worries about naming and shaming. Likewise we post positive experiences too. If you have a bad experience with someone I think it’s good to post your thoughts to your service as it’s your opinion and if the person doesn’t like it that can always respond. Sitting on the fence and not letting others know when you had a bad service is bad for the community and only lets other people get ripped off if you ask me.

Buddsy
barmiebrumie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats bad, I work for a accident repair centre in Birmingham & as a part time business for myself I refurb alloy wheels, most are for work as a seperate invoice, but all wheels that I refurb are etch primed & painted to whatever colour (mostly silver) & then 2K laquered & have not had one return in the 2 years of doing this, have done some for shows as far away as Germany, BUT I have had to re-do there so called refurb experts jobs that people have paid good money to have them done, worst ones are normally the ones that are ''smart repaired'' for second hand sales pitch's

John
welshrover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here. if somebody has paid good money out for a service whatever it may be. it should be bought up and the company etc should be named to stop other people getting ripped off .thats the problem today nobody will say anything because of the law looking after shoddy business practices .i myself have no problem naming shoddy companys as i have done on a few times sending me absolute appaling items i have paid out good money for . Mad
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
same here. if somebody has paid good money out for a service whatever it may be. it should be bought up and the company etc should be named to stop other people getting ripped off .thats the problem today nobody will say anything because of the law looking after shoddy business practices .i myself have no problem naming shoddy companys as i have done on a few times sending me absolute appaling items i have paid out good money for . Mad

I agree in principle, but as I've no desire to get entangled in other people's legal wranglings as a result of specific accusations posted on the forum, the no-naming policy will remain.

Thanks, RJ
Inglewood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barmiebrumie wrote:
Thats bad, I work for a accident repair centre in Birmingham & as a part time business for myself I refurb alloy wheels, most are for work as a seperate invoice, but all wheels that I refurb are etch primed & painted to whatever colour (mostly silver) & then 2K laquered & have not had one return in the 2 years of doing this, have done some for shows as far away as Germany, BUT I have had to re-do there so called refurb experts jobs that people have paid good money to have them done, worst ones are normally the ones that are ''smart repaired'' for second hand sales pitch's

John

A few years back many main dealers refused to involve themselves with refurnishing wheels but they now treat it as a regular up-sell particularly in the body shops.

A problem is defining what 'refurb'means.

If someone asks for a smart repair and gets & pays for a smart repair then this is fine.

If someone asks for a refurb including removal of the tyre, blast/cleaning, repair, refinish, refit tyre, valve and balance then this too is fine - but the headline in an advert will describe both operations as a 'refurb' yet the repair activity is very different.

Perhaps time for the trade to clearly define what is what?
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy thread resurrection Batman!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
welshrover wrote:

I agree in principle, but as I've no desire to get entangled in other people's legal wranglings as a result of specific accusations posted on the forum, the no-naming policy will remain.

Thanks, RJ

Long may it stay that way Rick.
One of the qualities that endears folk to OCC is its “gentlemanly” spirit. I’m sure we have all seen cases on other forums, where, let’s face it anonymous individual’s post unsubstantiated or anecdotal insults about firms or individuals who may not have the ability to reply. When they do reply the thread often descends in to.... shall we say a smearing competition using the language of the inarticulate

Dave
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I can only Agree with Rick I am afraid, I know you want to warn others of this chap which is fair enough, but when everything posted on here ultimately falls to Rick, I think he has every right to pull the specifics off.

As UK Dave says this is one of the rare good points of this forum, that brings people far and wide to post, that there is very little bickering, and falling out, long may it continue!

Cheers

Dave
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Rick's forum, so

Rick rules OK?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: