classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bean 14hp Roadster 1925.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Jonv8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Bean 14hp Roadster 1925. Reply with quote

I'm trying to help out my brother who is restoring a Bean.Does anyone know of a maker of replica pedal rubbers ? We know what they look like as I took some pictures of the Bean in the collection at Beaulieu,but cant find any for sale.
Also,does anyoone know of a supplier of tinwork who does the dished section for the spare wheel to sit in on the front wing - or do we need to make one.
Thank you in advance.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

Perhaps if you made a mould you do it yourself:
http://www.rubbertrim.co.uk/windscreen.htm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RTV-Silicone-Mould-Making-Rubber/dp/B00261ZKLK

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Donnelly UK Ltd - Mouldings & Extrusions in Natural and Synthetic Rubber for the pedal rubbers, advertising they do "precision mouldings to clients specifications" - 0121 565 0988

However I think they could be expensive for just one set - alternatively, is there a Bean Owners Club you could try?
pigtin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly I have some somewhere. A friend of mine had a moulding company that made some about 25 years ago and they were amongst some off cuts I bought from him. They have tiny imperfections but in no way noticable.
I'll look them out if you still need them.

Don.
Salopian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Donnelly is an active VSCC member and lives fairly local to me. I think but could be wrong his son now runs the business. Peter owns one of those rarities a Vale Special and is a thoroughly decent chap (and no he is not a particular friend of mine).

Oh and Pigtin as an aside was Pete Cole the friend you refer to? I knew him quite well years ago and his untimely early death was very sad. I know he was experimenting with mouldings and was Bean orientated.

Scotty wrote:
You could try Donnelly UK Ltd - Mouldings & Extrusions in Natural and Synthetic Rubber for the pedal rubbers, advertising they do "precision mouldings to clients specifications" - 0121 565 0988

However I think they could be expensive for just one set - alternatively, is there a Bean Owners Club you could try?

Jonv8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you for the replies and ideas - but Don if you have a pair you are willing to sell there is no point in looking anywhere else ! I'll send you a PM with my contact numbers.
Thank you all again - This internet thing might just catch on !
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salopian wrote:
Peter Donnelly is an active VSCC member and lives fairly local to me. I think but could be wrong his son now runs the business. Peter owns one of those rarities a Vale Special and is a thoroughly decent chap (and no he is not a particular friend of mine).

Oh and Pigtin as an aside was Pete Cole the friend you refer to? I knew him quite well years ago and his untimely early death was very sad. I know he was experimenting with mouldings and was Bean orientated.
Scotty wrote:

No, this guy had nothing to do with classic cars. And thinking back it may have been 30 years ago they were moulded. The usual form was for the customer to supply, or pay for the manufacture of the mould and it was returned to the them on completion of the job. I hope the mould is still in existence as it would have been expensive with a raised Bean badge and Bean set into the rubber.
The moulding company in question is long-gone.
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have now found 2 Bean pedal rubbers. PM sent.
Jonv8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent,but no sign of a PM ? Can you please send it again.
Regards, Jon.
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what happened to the PMs but had better establish from the photo if they are the right ones:
They are to fit a pedal some 1.3/4" X 3.1/2". Outside dimensions 2.1/4" X 4".

Jonv8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look the same as the ones on the car at Beaulieu - I dont think we can afford to be fussy ! I'll PM you my phone numbers.
Jonv8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to publicly thank Don for sending the pedal rubbers to me,absolutely spot on - my brother is so pleased,he is so keen to get the car as close as possible to original condition,never thought he would find any.
Enjoy your drink Don !
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Jon, it was a pleasure. It just shows that whatever old car parts you squirrel away they may be useful to someone one day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: