classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Found under the seats.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Found under the seats. Reply with quote

When I buy another car I always like to have a rake under the seats. I once found a belter of a chrome adjustable spanner which I still have and the odd bit of loose change and the usual sticky sweets stuck to the carpet. As yet I havent found any tenners. What have you found Laughing
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega Seamaster watch. Found 20 yrs ago and still running well.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Dodge, while clearing out the junk, I found an old copper printing plate, with some form of motorised bicycle on it. Must dig it out sometime and try to identify it.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine bought a lovely Fordson van with no history whatsoever, completely restored to the point nothing was left that would have given even the slightest clue to its past.

I'd learned a trick in the fire brigade when looking for evidence in vehicle fires ........ getting a wire coat-hanger, I snapped it into a long length of wire and formed a hook at its end. As many of us will know, old British commercial vehicles don't have much interior trim, particularly the "A" & "B" posts, often being left unfinished as open-topped "tubes" at roof level.

I fed the wire down one of the openings, wriggled it gently around and felt something give, pulled the wire back and attached to it was a crumpled piece of paper. Over the next hour we retrieved numerous items from inside the posts - a Capstan cigarette packet, a bakers paper bag for a shop in Perth, but the best of all was a vehicle log sheet dated 1953 for a company called "Frews of Perth - Agricultural Engineers" with the registration number of this van written on it and some of its farm calls. Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty's story reminded me that in the green E83W pickup I had, when delving down behind the panel above the screen, I found some delivery note paper for a shop (greengrocer I think). Unfortunately it only became apparent when it caught fire while welding the A post Smile

R
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings back a memory while at work.
My Vehicle was a Volvo F7 Artic. in the cab, the centre / engine cover formed a deep V with the front bulkhead,

I was in Brechin in Scotland and had just finished loading some carpets for export.
I had parked up and awaited another of our wagons loading out of the same factory
When it was time to go I found the clutch pedal to be stuck and wouldn't depress, managed to get the vehicle back to Colchester with out a clutch.
Having used another unit the trailer was dropped of in Harwich and on my return I was handed a lighter.

I had lost the lighter a few months before and it must have been in the 'V' and worked it's way behind the clutch lever.
Wonder how much loose change and paperwork got lost down there.
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a folded and collapsible camera tripod in a leather bag in a scrapyard years ago still got it! under the drivers seat another time a typewriter which is very old and a tool kit in a plastic case as well as various pound coins some of these i found in an ashtray why no one else had noticed i do not know.
papple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collected a Landrover Discovery once and was thrilled to find a CD still left in the player.

It was Steely Dan's Greatest Hits......

So I listened to the radio on the way home!

Isn't is the old story that when you went to take the speedo out to make... ahem.... adustments, there was a piece of paper taped to it that reads "oh no. Not again!"
P3steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any ones got my old Ford Focus can I have my Alison Moyet greatest hits back please, Doh I left it in the cd player
Bengt Axel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once bought an Alfasud from a Chinese restaraunt in Manchester - when I got it home I found that the glove-box was completely full of loose peanuts - so much so that it could only possibly have been filled from above the dashboard - why?

Also the back seats stank of bean-sprouts - unbearably so on hot summer days...
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I helped a friend who was buying "grey import" vehicles via Dublin in the 1990's.

We went over to pick up two cars from Dublin Docks and when I arrived there I was amazed to discover rows and rows of second-hand Japanese cars complete with filled ash-trays, Japanese rubbish under the seats, newspapers, etc, etc, just as the owner had traded the car in.

What surprised me most was the big sedans used as taxis still had their antimacassar seat top covers in place - all of them had them, must have been the fashion then.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

standardsteve wrote:
If any ones got my old Ford Focus can I have my Alison Moyet greatest hits back please, Doh I left it in the cd player

Last car I bought had a dodgy rip-off of a Genesis in Concert CD in it. As the radio had given up the ghost, the choice was either Genesis or nothing to listen to, needless to say it was a quiet journey home Smile

R
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANTIMACASSAR..................Havent heard that name in ages. My granny used to have them on the chairs and the couch. Cool
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I collected my new Wolseley Six in 1973 I heard a rattle coming from the back. I could not identify the source so I asked the garage to investigate. They removed the rear seat and found an empty milk bottle from Handsworth Dairies!

That was not on my list of extras. Laughing

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
papple

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RotaryBri wrote:
When I collected my new Wolseley Six in 1973 I heard a rattle coming from the back. I could not identify the source so I asked the garage to investigate. They removed the rear seat and found an empty milk bottle from Handsworth Dairies!

That was not on my list of extras. Laughing

Weren't there reports that workers in the bad old days at BL used to put tin cans with marbles in them somewhere in the cars just for the hell of it. Bet that was a laugh. Wonder if they still chuckled to themselves when they were sat at home with no job?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: