classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Eccles interior
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Eccles interior Reply with quote

My 1929/30 Eccles is finished as it would have left the factory (almost) the one area which is lacking is the finish on exposed panels of the interior, including the roof panels. I notice in the copies of brochures I have that it is said that French Polishing was used to create a very 'shiny surface' to the wood interior. Mine is the opposite to this and so I am considering using a high quality clear varnish to give the interior a little lift. Comments/advise appreciated. Smile
Dalek63

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
If you want a nice surface like the original, I would put on the varnish with a padded rag, in the same manner as French polish. I have used this method many times and it produces a really fine finish. If you use a brush with most modern varnish you get a really thick coating which gives a poor looking finish and you can never get all the brush marks out it.
alan 869

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccles interior Reply with quote

Bayliss Thomas wrote:
My 1929/30 Eccles is finished as it would have left the factory (almost) the one area which is lacking is the finish on exposed panels of the interior, including the roof panels. I notice in the copies of brochures I have that it is said that French Polishing was used to create a very 'shiny surface' to the wood interior. Mine is the opposite to this and so I am considering using a high quality clear varnish to give the interior a little lift. Comments/advise appreciated. Smile

Pics my boy Wink Very Happy
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for tip Alan, I've tried it and am pleased with result Very Happy
For pic's of my Eccles have a look at one of my previous threads (about 6 threads down from this one) about vintage style reflectors, you can click onto my photobucket from the link in there.
alan 869

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That´s really nice (I´ve gone all green Shocked )

A -T- plate would look the part on it. Could make one up if you can get the right reflectors..
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for kind comment Smile I'm not quite sure what you mean about a A-T plate though?
alan 869

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Ricks pic on this:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10381

I´ve seen a few when I was small. On old lorrys and trailers. They painted one on the back of some of the Dinky Toys trailers.
They should have been around in the 30s so would look right on your Eccles
alan 869

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ve quite a few books on camping and caravanning. The oldest 2 from 1907.

The first issue of the Caravan Manual (1939) has a section called... Law for the Caravanner. I quote:

A trailer must have a number plate bearing the same number as the towing car, and the plate must be illuninated at night, with a red light showing to the rear. A "T" plate is not required on any trailer drawn by a private car.

So a red light illuminating the number plate and shining backwards aswell seems all they had Shocked
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, all is clear now, Doh! I misinterpreted your ealier post about the 'T' reflector. Yes it would certainly fit very nicely onto my van'. I expect they are as rare as hens teeth, still start looking at autojumbles and fleabay, never know!may be lucky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: