classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Satin lacquer...cheap?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
kevanf1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Satin lacquer...cheap? Reply with quote

Hi everybody. Would anybody happen to know of either an online supplier or perhaps local to Staffordshire/West Midlands of satin lacquer? Not in a spray canister though. I'm only looking for around 100ml of the stuff to start with as this is for an experiment more than anything. It is not actually for a car Smile I've restored an old fishing reel using car paints (etch primer then satin black paint) and I want to put a protective coat over the top coat of paint.

I am getting some horrendous quotes of around £50+ for a litre Sad Can anybody suggest something better or cheaper? It also has to be satin as I don't want any flash from the reel.

Cheers.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pop down to your local auto paint shop, they will mix a satin or matt laquer, I use Colorwerx in Stoke on Trent, they are very helpful; 01782 746 947.

Dave
kevanf1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Just pop down to your local auto paint shop, they will mix a satin or matt laquer, I use Colorwerx in Stoke on Trent, they are very helpful; 01782 746 947.

Dave

Cheers mate I shall do that. I've been told of one in Brownhills (just off the A5 near to Chasewater for those not in this area). We used to have a fantastic place in Bridgtown, Cannock but they closed down a few years ago. If this new place can't help I might just take a trip up to Stoke to Colorwerx.

again, many thanks for the help.

Kevan
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try your local model shop - Testors make a range of clear finishes in small aerosol cans.
kevanf1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:
Try your local model shop - Testors make a range of clear finishes in small aerosol cans.

I'll take a look. There is a very good model shop in Wolverhampton which is fairly close to me. I'd have to dispense some into a container first though as I want to apply the lacquer through my airbrush.

I did have a word with a guy at Alan Ward Bodyshop in Bridgtown, Cannock yesterday. He reckons first of all it is a load of bull that satin lacquer is expensive! I told him I was being quoted sums of around £50+ for a litre and he told me he can do the same for aorund £20. However, and this is the good bit, he then suggested trying a very fine (almost dusting) spray of gloss lacquer. He reckons this should lose a lot of the gloss because it will not have the same depth. Now, that makes sense but at the same time it also will not have the same amount of protection as a good number of coats.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose....

Take care all.

Kevan
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that the model aerosols have a fine enough nozzle that there's no need for the airbrush - it depends what you're painting.

Look out for Floquil finishes too - tiny glass jars - very fine pigmentation & can be thinned to your liking.

Both Testors & Floquil are US products, but several UK model shops carry them.

There's a "masking" thread around here somewhere - try using cotton-buds = Q-tips = ear-cleaning things - what's the English word I'm looking for? !
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cotton buds
tother side of the pond Wink
kevanf1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:

There's a "masking" thread around here somewhere - try using cotton-buds = Q-tips = ear-cleaning things - what's the English word I'm looking for? !

It may be the same masking thread that I started a day or two ago Smile

The project I am doing at the moment is actually a vintage fishing reel dating back to around the 1950's. It's an old centrepin reel. I've used my restoration skills from working on cars and scaled them down. At the same time I am learning new skills that I can then pass on to my cars for very fine detailing.

I'll post some pics of the my first reel before and after as I believe the actual work to be relevant even if it's not a vehicle.

Take care.

Kevan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: