classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Red Face!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Red Face! Reply with quote

I am leading a Club run to RAF Cosford on Sunday to view the wonderful aircraft exhibits.
Yesterday I decided to top up my Triumph 5TA tank with fuel so I would have no need to hold anyone up by stopping en-route.
Fuel station about two miles away and revelling in the sweetness of the bike and thinking "you can all keep your ????..ese missiles, they cannot be as satisfying as this".
Topped off the tank, but after about one hundred yards (the old bike does not understand metres) it started to misfire and spit back thorough the carb! It also made rather dismaying "clanking" noises when I tried to accelerate. However I managed to struggle home with minimum throttle and switched off the engine. WHICH DID NOT STOP! Though it was ticking over rather raggedly.
Took the plugs out and peered in the bores. Nothing visible amiss there.
Not knowing where to go next, I decided to remove the jet cap from the carb. I have had water problems in the past. No water, but I did get fuel on my fingers which felt greasy
I had been distracted at the fuel station by a teenage character driving around in circles on the forecourt from one pump to another and when he settled down at the pump I mostly use I went to the nearest pump unit with both petrol and diesel from adjacent nozzles.
You've guessed the rest!
It has cost me a few pounds. Luckily the tank was over 1/2 full to start with and only holds 3 1/2 gallons total, But it was rather a revelation that the bike would "diesel" on tickover with the ignition "off".
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Jim.
StoneRoad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear, my sympathies - and I'm glad to hear that you got it sorted.

I should thinkk that it is far easier to correct that particular situation on a bike - I imagine that it must be far harder and waste more fuel thus £££ trying to do that on a car......
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StoneRoad wrote:
oh dear, my sympathies - and I'm glad to hear that you got it sorted.

I should thinkk that it is far easier to correct that particular situation on a bike - I imagine that it must be far harder and waste more fuel thus £££ trying to do that on a car......

I learnt something though!
Diesel does funny (strange funny!) things.
I tanked the bike up rather late in the day and decided to leave it until next day to drain it etc.
Next morning the tank was EMPTY! And the fifty-fifty diesel petrol contents were all over the garage floor.
The Diesel had somehow shrunk the corks in the petrol tap and escaped past them. All was previously petrol tight.
It seems cork seals and diesel do not mix!
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: