classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lorry grave yard????
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
brianjbox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Lorry grave yard???? Reply with quote

Hi ya

We've been busy looking for a new home in Lincolnshire and as you do checking the area out using google maps.

At the end of one road near Louth I thought looked like a gypsy camp turned out to be lorries, lot's of lorries.

I cannot identify these from the pic's only that the split screen makes them look old, are they, does anyone know why they're there?

I found a small hgv parts supplier at the end of the road but the lane that leads to these vehicles hasn't got any signs up at all.

These if old are bound to belong to someone who knows their value or will not sell so I doubt there's any bargains to be had, but would be interesting to know what's going on.

Thanks
Brian

P.S. the ones pictured in the first pic can be seen from where it says South St Wink
P.P.S. if you google map Old Main Road, Scamblesby you'll see them for yourself Wink Wink
RUSTON

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two lorries in the first pic are BMC VA's which were built for BRS parcels, they were bodied by STAR bodyworks and there were 3 and 5 ton versions dating from the 1960/70 period. Looks an interesting place to visit Brian.

Pete.
brianjbox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUSTON wrote:
The two lorries in the first pic are BMC VA's which were built for BRS parcels, they were bodied by STAR bodyworks and there were 3 and 5 ton versions dating from the 1960/70 period. Looks an interesting place to visit Brian.

Pete.

Shocked how did you get all that from the tiny bit on show, amazing Surprised

Unfortunately we didn't get time to view the property in that road, would have loved to have got in there with my camera Wink
RUSTON

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianjbox wrote:

Shocked how did you get all that from the tiny bit on show, amazing Surprised

Unfortunately we didn't get time to view the property in that road, would have loved to have got in there with my camera Wink

I just have a dull life I guess! Used to work on them a lifetime ago.

http://aire-net.co.uk/waite/spotthenoddyvan/

Pete.
brianjbox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete

Thanks for the link, don't think I've ever seen one of them before.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the big green vans.

Photos and some history in the comments section of the link below

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-blog/2010/04/classic-british-vans-on-biglor.html
brianjbox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
I remember the big green vans.

Photos and some history in the comments section of the link below

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-blog/2010/04/classic-british-vans-on-biglor.html

Thanks Peter Cool

I was born in 61 and guess by the time I'd started noticing motor's these may a have been coming to an end Sad
My late father used to have commercials, he had trucks we called throup'penny'bit's [not quite sure how you spell 'three penny piece' the way we said it?]. These were trucks with the little quarter windows down by your feet, don't have a picture of one at hand.
When he passed away we found a lot of old b&w negatives of us as kids, this is one of our old ex Co-Op van he turned into a camper called Bessie.

Me on the right Embarassed

One of his old van's

Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian. Great photos. I had my licence in 1963 and within weeks had bought a mini van. Maybe other "senior" forum members may agree that there was a beautiful simplicity to motoring in the 60's and 70's. Vehicles like the camper van would be the envy of so many.

Was the camper photo taken in the south east ? and the other, with the ponies, the background makes me think they were pit ponies, and being out in the fields may suggest the photo was taken July/August when most collieries closed for the annual holidays. I worked at one during those years and remember seeing them run like the wind when they were brought out.... happy days........
brianjbox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
Hi Brian. Great photos. I had my licence in 1963 and within weeks had bought a mini van. Maybe other "senior" forum members may agree that there was a beautiful simplicity to motoring in the 60's and 70's. Vehicles like the camper van would be the envy of so many.

Was the camper photo taken in the south east ? and the other, with the ponies, the background makes me think they were pit ponies, and being out in the fields may suggest the photo was taken July/August when most collieries closed for the annual holidays. I worked at one during those years and remember seeing them run like the wind when they were brought out.... happy days........

Hi Peter

The camper van shots were taken at Hastings where my family took me every year when I was little Embarassed
The Horses may well have been my fathers, we had forty odd in various rented fields along the Thames, that field was down a road called Crabtree Manorway in Belvedere Kent. Our horses wintered out though we did have stables for them but they rarely took shelter, I can remember the buckets of the winter sugar beet feed in the hallway at home and the smell of molasses wafting though the whole house [you soaked the pellets in hot water].

Hastings lift and fishing boats

Crabtree Manorway with the Ford factory in the distance and Fords from down near the river [they used to run a ferry to Fords from a car park at the end of the road]

One of my last campers though sold it and regretted it ever since Sad

Mog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , I lived at Hastings when I was 8 - 10 years old, happy times. 1952 when I was 8 ! I can remember standing on that concrete brake water, in the Old Town area, fishing. A very dangerous place to be, no hand rails and I could not swim.
brianjbox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more Hastings ones just for you Mog Wink

From going there every year when I was young, you know looking forward to the only holiday you ever got. I still now love the sounds of the Herring Gulls and have taken my children there many times since.

Salopian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey I drove for BRS Parcels in the mid 70's and was often out and about between Bridgwater and Misterton in one of those Noddy vans but as a class 1 licence holder more usually in a Bedford small wheeled artic with Scammel coupling (CHT 703J long scrapped I expect).
The Noddys were quite horrible to drive.

To prevent too much going up on this thread I refer to the BRS vans mentioned a few posts above.
poodge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "thrupenny bit"cabbed models were Austin/Morris FG series.I seem to remember you had to stand up to steer it around a corner Sad .Coupled with the crash gearbox,it made driving these things "interesting".
Mog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was always a steam fan and I remember the railway in the old town. Spent many hours train spotting on a Saturday, at Hastings railway station. Me and my mate sometimes used to catch the train to Ore, where the sheds were. We would be no more than 10 years old.
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subject to being wrong, I think the lorry graveyard may be Roland Smith's scrapyard very close to The Green Man, Scamblesby.
The RM Club Hangover Team stayed at The Green Man after a national rally a couple of years ago and couldn't have been made more welcome, including a guided tour of the scrapyard by Roly, who had spied us piking through the hedge! Very Nice Man, but a bit private.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: