classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What I am up to!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: What I am up to! Reply with quote

My Mini Sidewalk is only 10 years old but as you probably know minis are very good at going rusty, and so will need some weldy soon. It also needs little things doing to it to keep it reliable, like the engine steady bushes need replacing as it is pulling on the exhaust and manifold at the moment. Also little things like the window washers are going belly up, new pump needed I think!

The mini Estate is in good nick at the moment as it was fixed up last year. I am going to clean it, wax it and store it over the winter and next year perhaps as it doesent warant the high insurance that us youngens have. (Due to my great friends that have many crashes, but I won't go into that now!) as I have only used the estate about 5 times last year!

As rick may tell you there is another job in progress or will be very soon, not a restoration but a recomisioning.

I will keep you up dated on any work that I do to my cars.

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an extensive recommissioning job on the horizon, if I may say Very Happy

R
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on buzzy, you must tell us about the recommissioning, you cant keep us all in suspenders!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have agreed to take on a new project. Like I have told you all in the past I wanted an older project next. As Rick has got some nice new (old) toys coming around the world, I have agreed to have one of his E83W Steel backed Pickups to play with!

Like Rick said it may be an extensive recomisioning or even a rebuild! I am looking forward to collection soon and then I can start my first real rebuild of a prewar style car!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they did left hand drive versions, I might be tempted to jump on the bandwagon here!

On his website, oldgoaly suggested fitting one (I think) with a 390/C6...prefer a 385 series +C6 myself!
admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any more of this hotrodding E83Ws talk and I'll ban you UJ!!!!!!!!
Very Happy

Rick.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think there is a bit of a novelty of keeping stuff original, as there is alot of cars around that have been modded?

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original is good, especially with E83Ws.

Some cars can be upgraded with slightly better or livelier engines, perhaps of the same manufacture and era, without drastically altering the vehicle. I'm thinking 1296cc Triumph engine into early (948cc) Heralds, or 1275 into a Morris Minor.

However with the offset engine bay of the E83W, and a distinct lack of space, it doesn't lend itself to a gentle upgrade. Even fitting an 1172cc 100E engine in requires some chopping to the chassis. Anything larger and it requires a majorly modified (or even replaced) chassis, new bulkhead, and usually axles, leaving very little of the 50-60 year old vehicle left in place, and wayyyy beyond being reversible back to original spec in future. I don't think I've ever seen an E83W that has had a useful engine update, without the aforementioned chopping and changing, and general butchery to get it in.

Rick.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being serious, I could think of rodding an E83W, but I would never do it! The things are just to d**n cool as they are! Although I will admit, there is one thing that I do with any and every sidevalve engine that I lay my hands on, even my lawn mower!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix 2.5% Castrol R30 or 40 in the petrol. Can you gues why, apart from the beautiful smell?
admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lubricating the valve stems?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partially.

The Austin 12 I restored years ago had a few engine problems that would never go away. The man that we bought spares from told us that if we started using R30 or 40 as an upper cylinder lubricant they would disappear. So we did, and true enough, the went away, never to return!

Dont know why though, although I do have theories. Maybe someone else can explain this?
admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the problems that the upper cyl lubricant cured?

R
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A steady throttle misfire, pinking and a reluctance to start.

I had an old rotorvator, first owner Fred Flintstone, with a 3.5hp sidevalve B&S. That was a pain to start as well. Added the R40, the first start was murder, but after that, first or second pull every time, even after winter!

Is that strange, or what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: