classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New owner of a Cheltenham
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
speedy555

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: New owner of a Cheltenham Reply with quote

Hi
Ive just bought this Cheltenham Sable, so thought Id share some pics with you all Very Happy I dont collect it until next week, so these are the sellers pictures, but hope to have some better ones soon. It needs a little work, but nothing too major I hope.
Not quite sure how old it is, (Dont know the chassis number yet) but It's been retro-fitted with double glazing, and off a little information from the owners club it could be as late as 1982 - It certainly has a very late gas box cover (Aparently it was actually to house the water heater, not gas, hence the louvered vent in it?!) but that could have been added later.
They must have been very out dated by 1982 Shocked My dad had a 1973 Lunar Moonlight from new that looked more modern Laughing

gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the club - but how dare you say they are outdated Very Happy
speedy555

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
I like anything old...but in 1982 it must have been a hard van to sell??

Still, Im looking forward to getting it, and hopefully getting some advice as I fix / improve it. Picking up next tuesday, quick check over and then to Norfolk that same weekend all being well....should have a list of 'to do's' by the time I return Very Happy
RUSTON

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the gas locker cover dates from 1982 as it is the same as the one on out 82 Cotswold Windrush. A nice van the Cheltenhams, we used to rally with a few of the owners club members.

Pete.
gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so there will be another Cheltenham in norfolk Very Happy
speedy555

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillberry wrote:
so there will be another Cheltenham in norfolk Very Happy

Just the 2 days in Kings Lynn Smile
jonbott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice Cool
1972 vw camper
1971 mini project
I must be mad!!
gillberry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are in north norfolk a couple of more times this month before we put our nyala on her winter wheels,
speedy555

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the presumption it is fit to go, it will be its only outing this year. I work in all sorts of motorsports, and the stock car world final is in Kings Lynn that weekend which is why Im going. Just in a makeshift campsite...well field really Laughing opposite the stadium. Im in Northampton this fri/sat/sun on a similar outing in my current caravan.

Then the winter to sort out its problems and decide its future Cool
gillberry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are a bit like you the other half works shifts so plot out life around that, car and caravan shows then what days he has left our ours to get away and relax, we did not even have electric hook up till last year but most times we are just in fields with the 12 volt - the joy of a Cheltenham - have fun Very Happy
speedy555

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well finally got it back home Smile Just given it a quick wash so far & making a long to do list! I wont be going away in it this weekend now though Sad as it turns out theres a gas leak from the hob - Its rotted through a pipe or something i think. Im wondering if a newer hob & oven will fit the gap?

Im also needing some window rubbers - Cheltenham owners lists a part number, but thats for glass windows. I half expect mine to be the same rubbers, but there's a pic below if anyone can help?

Oh, and Ive got 2 taps, and 4 different water pumps...though only 1 tap & pump work!? lol
Ive now been able to check the chassis number and it is a 1980 van (#2) - gas locker, shower tray etc are original items, and double glazing was fitted within the first year IIRC.
speedy555

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent managed to copy and paste it yet, but more resto details currently here....http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/54721-cheltenham-restoration-recomissioning/page__gopid__568226
speedy555

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Ive been spending quite a bit of time on it the last fortnight or so,and here's a few pics and info on how Ive been progressing!

The caravan has quite a bit of damp in her - All around the windows, due to the plastic sill trims breaking up, the rubbers going a bit weak, and at the front, the fixed window rubbers were shot.
This is the front as it was when I bought it Shocked .... and the previous owners had used the caravan 3 weeks earlier like this. Must have been like it for years...

First thing to do was remove the windows and strip the wood back to see what state the frame was in....which amazingly is intact!! Very Happy Just the ply front panel needs replacing, and the top skin of the front shelf.

Unfortunatley its removed some of the veneer on the side panels - But Im just going to leave this wood in. Its solid, good quality, and its done 32 years service, so seems a shame to replace the whole side panels just for a bit of staining that is under the cushions anyway.

As you can see, the framework is like new....and you know its handbuilt when the bloke that builds it, signs and dates it!

Fixed Windows out & All front affected wood removed, after removal of drawers etc

speedy555

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The frames round the side windows were also in good order - This is after I'd removed the capping, and doind a bit of rubbing down for the re-varnish at some point

Ive had all the original hinges and window catches electro plated - Cheaper than new, and keeps some of the originality. This is one of the catches trial fitted with the new window ledge capping in place.

Box of plated bits....think it was about a fiver for the lot....not perfect, but once fitted will look better

The cooker has caused me all sorts of nightmares! I wondered why it didnt light too well, and then found this rotted out burner!

Managed to track down a replacement, and some new gas tap seals via ebay Laughing

All seemed to be going well until I found that upon lighting the hob, the gas kept popping back, and some times lit the gas up at the jet on the gas tap Shocked
Tried everything under the sun, and eventually decided to buy another hob to use for parts....which at £75 wasnt an overly cheap idea. I swapped the burners over between the cookers, and the one in the caravan was cured Very Happy - The one I bought for bits was actually in lovely condition, and had an air mixture adjuster on it...few tweaks and that was great too...so now it can be sold and get my £ back with luck!

Cooker all done and cleaned up, and new aluminium sheet on the underside of the lid / worktop. Just needing hinges screwing back on.

speedy555

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this info on my van via the Cheltenham club too -

The Cheltenham Caravan Company actually ceased trading in 1974. From 1978 to 1982 Sable's and Puku 2's were marketed as "Fernden-Cheltenham" at Frant near Tunbridge Wells in Kent. These caravans were very well built with useful modifications including oak grained wood for interior paneling and furniture. The lengthening of the A frame to support a box containing gas bottles and in some cases a water heater.
............. this would be the third Sable built in 1980. A van ending in 00 would be built for the annual show at the start of the year (August) If yours shows a date of July that would be the end of the year which would probably mean that not many Sables were built that year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: