classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rover P5 MK11 Automatic 1964 74,000 miles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Rover P5 MK11 Automatic 1964 74,000 miles. Reply with quote

I carried out a lot of restoration work last year on a friends Rover P5B 1972.

During the work I admired the quality,luxury,style and good driving of the model.

Not really intending to get one of these cars I came across one being sold very quickly and at an amazing price by its owner,so just had to dive in and buy it and sort out what I was going to do with it afterwards.

The owner purchased the car in 1991 and has travelled 2,000 miles in the car in all that time.
He kept it in an integral garage under his house.
It had little use recently so he reluctantly decided to part with her.

Since getting it home I have decided to keep it and part with two other cars I own instead.

I have decided the quality of this car just cannot be matched by one or two others I own.
So the MG Midget and Sunbeam Rapier have got to go.

The car drove onto the trailer but did not run properly,once home I fitted new spark plugs,ignition leads and set up the carburettor,she now runs like a Swiss watch.

Although very clean when purchased, I have thoroughly valeted the car inside and out and she now gleems,I am just waiting for the weather to improve before using her.

I told the wife our money was better invested in this car than in Mr Osbourne`s bank,I think she believes me. We might have to pay a percentage to the government to bail them out anyway.!!!!

Cyprus today us in a few months.!!!

Gresham Flyer Very Happy Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, good to have another P5/P5B-er on here Smile it looks mighty straight indeed.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
FrazzleTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a gorgeous example, and my favourite era of P5 as well, being a mark 2. I love the colourscheme, and it looks immensely straight. Does it need much work?
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned it ran like a bag of nails. The owner had paid £250.00 to get it running and free off the brakes so he could move it out of his garage.

The mechanic did a very poor job of sorting out the problems.

When I got it home it was running on about three cylinders.

A new set of plugs and three new leads had it running like a watch.

The front brake was binding,a new flexible brake hose cured that problem,they normally collapse inside restricting the flow of fluid..

A very slight blow in the rear exhaust box was cured by welding a very small neat patch in place.

She runs very good now.

Gresham flyer
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine had a similar vintage coupe in the late '70s when we were students! (and you could still buy 5* petrol!) It was untidy and well used, but even so was an impressive motor.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: