classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Royale Rally Devon
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Knowsley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Royale Rally Devon Reply with quote

Don't make them like they use to!

Eight Royale caravans rallying in Devon Sept 2011

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
alan 869

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those we the days Very Happy Lovely fotos. Is there a Rover 75 in there?
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely event, and good to meet up at last.
I think, though, that you're going to have a name change soon!
We can't have you writing about Royales and using "knowlsley", now can we?
Btw, I've replied to yopur PM. Smile
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes alan. The red car is a modern Rover 75, and the black estate car is the MG version. Both are V6 2.5 litres and hopeless in the mud!
alan 869

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thought so. A nice saloon in Firefrost and a black ZT-T. I have 2 75s. Best modern cars I´ve ever had. A 2.5 auto saloon, built in November 1998, in Arden Green with Deep Sea Green leather interior. Pre-production car owned by MGR till 2003. Oldest one in the 75/ZT club. A 75 diesel tourer from 2005. Both cars are top spec. My saloon will look good in front of the Vogue Wink
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MG ZT-T is a very low mileage car, only having done 32,000 miles, but as it replaced a Discovery, the owner is not best pleased with it, so I think it will be for sale soon. Its a nice car, but its "sporting" pedigree does not make it very good towcar. Because of the sports suspension he has problems if the surface is not absolutely level. Even some speed humps bottom the drawbar. It goes like stink, though, and handles well for such a big car.
alan 869

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ZT is too low and hard to make a good tow car. The 75 is much better Wink
Ranger2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: lovely sight Reply with quote

Great to see these vans still enjoying a good turn out for defunct maker, one has appeared near me with air con - must check out the owner
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger, please do, and let me know,will you? Therer weren't many fitted with aircon; infact I know of only two, both of which have disappeared from the rally circuit. One was a 17.5 ft Tourcruiser, and the other a Touranger. The details from the plate near the bottom of the left hand door would be good,if you can get them.

Emmerson, vice chair, Royale Owners Club.
Knowsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

change my name

i've been known as knowsley for decades!

i'll only change it if you second the nomination to poodles-in-tow!
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bl**dy fear! I have enough problems with the two poodles that Colin's got next door!
I suppopse they could be used to move the van in an emergency though! Very Happy
Edd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the Tourcruiser with air con would be the one that Seldon owned. A very very nice caravan even by Royale standards. Complete with hydraulic levelling jacks and the only 2 berth one they made. Built especially for him and he used to tow it with a 7 series BMW.

Are there any Tourcruisers in the club now?

Ed
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Edd. How do you know about Selbourne's 'cruiser?
When he retired from caravanning, he offered that van to me, but Herself didn't like it. Said it was too big, so it went to a gent called Prankherd (I think) Last I heard of it, it was in Morocco having its drawbar welded back on, but we lost track of it after that.
We do still have two Tourcruisers in the club, but not active. One lives in Scotland, and hasn't been seen for some years now, and the other is an almost mystical beast, a T/c with two axles! We have seen it on rallies, but again not for a while.It is sited on a secret location in the Lake District., and used,though not towed, regularly.This one, too was offered to me, but Herserlf only being two inches shorter than a teacake couldn't even get in it! The running gear is two Tourstar axles on a subframe, and to get them in, the whole van was raised by eight inches. It's quite an ugly brute, but I would have liked it, if only for its rarity.
I currently own the only two-berth 16ft Royale. Badged as a Rangemaster, it never even appeared in the sales catalogue, as all 16ft vans were built as four-berth.
Knowsley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what some PR can do for the Royale Owners Club.......

Slap some pictures of a recent rally on line showing the general public what wonderful and classic vans these were and get people sharing info and knowledge.......Superb!

Do people know the club has just recently celebrated it's 40th anniversary?

By the way Emmerson, does Ann need a highchair in future for Royale gatherings in the 'family' tent so all can see who you are sitting with?

David
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Exclamation Shocked Rolling Eyes Do you rally mean me, David? I used to be 6 foot tall, but marriage does odd things to we women folk. We know our place! It's not always under the table or bare-foot at the kitchen sink- but wait till you see my rolling pin!
Joking aside, if you really think it would help to be noticed then I' love a high chair. Now you will have to come to another rally to bring it for me! It was great to meet you both, I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.
Razz Laughing Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: