classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Sunbeam Tiger
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alfanut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ, I haven't found anything after a quick search, but who knows what might turn up. Back in the sixties, I was a trainee with Automotive Products, best known as makers of Lockheed brakes, but who also made Borg and Beck clutches. The Mark II clutch was the sort of project they gave to the likes of us - basically find out the maximum power and torque, calculate what is needed, then find existing parts that are about the right size and modify them to fit the new application. I have been out of the engineering industry for many years now, but I suppose that would all be done now with a CAD system, which would also churn out the tooling and jig designs at the same time.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about CAD. But I do think that it has taken a lot of the skill out of engineering.

I'm out of the industry myself now, but about 12 years ago, I learned a system called Pro-Engineer. If I over simplify, it was just a matter of doing a solid model in the computer, (no need for a drawing!) putting it on disc, and then putting the disc in the miller or whatever. With the material in place, it was just press start and go for a brew!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: