classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A sickening sport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
34HF90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: A sickening sport Reply with quote

http://tinyurl.com/6get2pb

Despite the 'justifications' I still don't get it. Sad

(And Westminsters are 100 years old????)

I ask you.... Rolling Eyes
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get "it" either to be honest, although following receipt of a tirade of abuse from certain members of the b*nger racing fraternity last time this came up on the forum, I have little truck with their arguments about all the cars being un-restorable wrecks, spares being sold to help other cars survive etc etc. I'd rather see a car gather moss in peaceful retirement somewhere, than thrashed to pieces.

So long as a car survives, especially if one of the rarer ones, there's a chance it can be rebuilt. Once it has been demolished, that's it, gone for good. There seems to be kudos in smashing up really rare stuff.

I did go to a banger meet once, reluctantly, and I've never seen such mindless "racing", with marshalls running for cover while these "racers" did their thing. I could go on, but I won't!

I don't want to attract the racers over here again after last time, so perhaps best let this thread rest now.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am prepared to stand up and defend them actually. I know someone who came across a completely rotten car, way beyond any chance of survival or economic restoration, but before racing it he took off all the chrome and other bits that might be of use to people who were restoring such a car. To say the bodywork was rotten is to insult the efficacity of the iron moth, and the car was only fit for spares. So, the car, suitably denuded of important parts, went out with a bang - lierally. At least it died an honourable death rather than being crushed. Oh and afterwards the motor and drivetrain were saved.

There is a case to argue against, like watching a Lynx Eventer etc. being destroyed, but if, an I find this telling, no one wants to buy the cars that turn up on Ebay then what else to do with these wrecks, for such they are. Saving a feasable project is fine, but let's not be Luddites.
gillberry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but we agree - we had a viva ha for spares stripped off what we could as there was just too much work to make it worth doing up so someone we knew took it away for bangor racing at Yarmouth and we went there and saw her go round the track she did not make the last race as the clutch went but we both thought it was a great way to go out as she had sat in a garage for 25 years
RobMoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they not have scrutineering at these events?
Logic dictates suely that if a car is capable of racing around a track it would also be saveable as a road vehicle.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our HA did not even have a floor pan and the engine was seized, a lot of these cars are too far gone to be road legal
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this thread should be locked after last times Experiences and upsets?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: