classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

effects of alteration of wheel sizes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: effects of alteration of wheel sizes? Reply with quote

I feel my queries must be sorely trying the patience of many of you learned forum members but here goes once again.
Among certain sections of the classic car fraternity there seems to be an irresistible urge to change wheel sizes,invariably upwards,often for glitzy alternatives.My enquiry regards the impact such alterations have on,for example,the accuracy of the speedo.I accept designs vary,those between instrument and gearbox, those to the hub,but I feel that an increase from,say,15 inch to 17 inch wheels must make a difference.Is this one which would manifest itself at M.O.T.time?Could it be a problem with a close encounter with a speed camera?Perhaps it works in favour of these wheels at such times.I freely admit an abysmal lack of understanding of anything mathematical and suspect such skills are a prerequisite here,thus I must crave the indulgence of some kind person who has patience and know-how of Fibonacci Numbers or whatever.
My thanks in advance.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Theoretically a change from 15" to 17" wou;ld make a 12.5% difference in rolling circumference, however a lower profile tyre on the larger size might mean that you could keep the same outer circumference or much nearer than a 2" diameter difference.

Bigger outer diameter means speedo under reads whereas it should over read.

There can also be problems with wheel arch clearances, extra tyre width can also cause problems here

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: alteration of wheel sizes Reply with quote

Hello Penman,
My thanks for your reply and not the first time you have done so either.It is a source of wonder how some forum members can succeed in supplying answers in clear,concise terms which are guaranteed to get through to people like me.In relation to the Black Art of numbers,I am still convinced that there is some sort of conspiracy when,many years ago,a Maths teacher asked "What is the half of two plus one? "Naturally I said "One and a half" but was rewarded with a pitying smile and told the answer was two.Things have never been the same since,numerically speaking.
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Oldtimer,

Your query raises another potential problem when changing wheels.

A very important consideration is the actual position of the wheel on the car. The horizontal distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the inside of the rim (if it differs from the original wheel) will have important implications to the whole front end geometry of the suspension and steering, apart from clearance inside the wheel arches.

As regards speedo inaccuracies, provided one has done their calculations correctly, I understand that small nylon gearboxes are available that screw directly into the rear of the speedo between that and the cable, to correct the ratio.

Keith
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: altered wheel sizes Reply with quote

Hello Keith,
Thank you for your input It seems there are a number of important issues in this whole business and,while it is not a project which holds any attraction for me,I wonder if those so inclined have ticked all the boxes and have included all the safety factors involved.
John
47p2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a tyre calculator to work out the different sizes
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: alteration to wheel size Reply with quote

Hello John,
Yet another who has regularly come to my aid.Thank you.Hope all is well with you.
John
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little story about wheel changes.
Many years ago when the MOT included a road test to try the brakes and I was an MOT Tester, I was faced with a Mini with wider and larger wheels ( and possily spacers - though I do not remember). Driving out for the brake test I found there was no "feel" to the steering and the car very frighteningly continued turning on corners until the steering wheel was physically centred.
Scared out of my wits, as was my right I abandoned the test as "unsafe to continue".
The young owner asked what he could do and I told him to be sensible and to re-fit the original wheels.
He duly re-presented the car on wheels that I suspected were borrowed, but everything was fine so he got his certificate.
A few days later, he was spotted passing by with the lethal wheels back on!
Jim.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago with my first Spitfire I learnt about different wheel nuts for different types of wheels. The car originally had steel wheels. I fitted period alloys, but re-used the original nuts. I hadn't noticed that the lug holes were a different profile, and required nuts with a different shoulder to them. Fortunately I wasn't driving too quickly when the o/s/r wheel made a bid for freedom Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Years ago with my first Spitfire I learnt about different wheel nuts for different types of wheels. The car originally had steel wheels. I fitted period alloys, but re-used the original nuts. I hadn't noticed that the lug holes were a different profile, and required nuts with a different shoulder to them. Fortunately I wasn't driving too quickly when the o/s/r wheel made a bid for freedom Smile

RJ

A very good point Rick! Not only do the customary tapers vary in angle, but also many cars right up to the 1950s have a spherical, rather than a taper "lug" on the wheel nuts or bolts.
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: