classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Full body rust proofing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
GML67

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Full body rust proofing Reply with quote

As a newbie on the forum, I'd like to say hi to you all and thank you in advance for the help and advice I'm sure I'll recieve.

About four years ago I began a full engine rebuild & back to the metal restoration of my 1972 Fiat 500. Having rebuilt the engine, I turned my attention to the bodywork, and had the shell stripped & media blasted. After replacing a couple of panels it was then painted in an etch primer. Sadly, having got to that stage, a family member became terminally ill, the project was shelved and has sat in the etch prime in the garage for the last three years.

Well the time has arrived to get the old girl out of storage and complete her restoration.

My question is, how well will a coat of etch primer protect the bodywork against rust if left to sit for that length of time? Am I looking at re-stripping her? Having sat for that length of time I'm worried about long term rust. Does anyone know of a full body rust proofing system? Galvanising? Chemical treatment?

Once again, thanks in advance for your help.

Gary
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary

and welcome to the forum Very Happy

Primer can absorb moisture, this will depend some what on the conditions in which the shell was stored; if it has, corrosion would normaly be visible through the primer, or at a minimum the primer will have rust coloured staining. If the primer looks clean I would say its a pretty safe bet that all is good and you can carry on.

Do you have any pics?

Cheers

Dave
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As dave says, and I can guareantee this, my cousin's fiat 124 has been sitting in etching primer for at least 3 years but was stored inside an airy garage and no sign of rust appearing, now it has been primed and is waiting for some sanding and the topcoat!!
Hopefully will be ready by the end of this year!
GML67

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave & Bob,

Have had a look at the etch prime, and I can see some rust dots thru it. The media blasting left quite a rough surface, so I think I'll get the sander out and have a look at what's underneath.

Thought I'd post some pics of my progress.

Just after I bought her.

Setting to work cutting out the rust.

Dodging the work!

Off to the media blasters, in the back of a Transit van!!!

Losing several layers of paint.

Came up nice and clean

Getting a new nose and wings.

The way she's been sitting for the past 4 years

There's plenty more in depth photos of the restoration here http://www.dropshots.com/Gary67#
feel free to have a look.

Thank again for your advice.

Gary
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be better off sanding down the car then, preferably the whole car, you can then put on some sort of rust converter, bilt hamber do a good one, hydrate 80, actually I think they have some very good products.
Then re coat with an etching primer and this time do not leave it like that for long Wink
Kelsham

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Hydrate 80 would be the best course? my doubt is because it leaves a skin over the surface.
I would sand down and apply Jenolite and then etch prime. this would seem more compatible to me?
Unless you can heat the garage it might be best to wait till spring asyou are likely to get blooming of the paint in the winter.

Regards kels.
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes probably jenolite is better but its not readily available here in malta so !!
Even painting is not a problem over here, so I forget about UK temperatures!!
Embarassed
GML67

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads. I'll take a look at those options.

As I'm sure you will be aware, the Scottish climate is not a friend of the classic car. Winter is closing-in pretty fast up here. So, perhaps it would better to wait until spring. Mind you, the only real difference between the seasons here is that the rain is a little bit warmer in the summer!

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: