classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

badly designed components.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: badly designed components. Reply with quote

I wonder how other members feel about this issue.For myself it matters not whether the component is large or small and I exclude items which are simply dangerous by their very nature.I have had my Volvo for almost 40 years and it is a constant source of joy to me but even with this car can be found" irritation factor"
I am not one of that group who want to remove and "update"items by replacing them with the latest electronic gizmos.That does impact on the character of the vehicle in an adverse way, in my opinion.I think more of components,switches etc.which show lack of thought in design or position or whatever.While many early solutions were simple,elegant even,the things which could and should have been done better do not become,for me,an endearing part of the vehicle's character merely because the "could do better factor"is forty years old.A cock up is just that irrespective of the time elapsed but some may say"Much ado about nothing"
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, 2-53 am!

Sounds like you hit one of those intractable problems John and had to get rid of your frustration before attempting to get to sleep.

Peter Wink
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: badly designed components Reply with quote

Hello Peter,
I think you have hit the nail on the head! Methinks I should approach you to be my official shrink,if you could fit it in between producing graphs of
torque, coefficients of drag etc and related matters far above my ability to
comprehend.
Regards
John
victor 101

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Borgward Isabella many years ago and had to wind the window up and down with my left hand because the winder was so far back you had no room for your elbow to move using your right hand.
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am driving a current model Vauxhall Astra while I'm in the UK. This has the most stupid handbrake I've ever come across. It is a button that I must LIFT to apply the brake, which goes on with a whirring noise. To let it off, I must press down on the button and am rewarded with a bell ringing. Then as I pull away, the rear of the car rise up before the brake releases.

What is the matter with the traditional handbrake lever that we've had for years? The button is probably much cheaper to fit!

Keith
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I remember back in the 70s working for a chap who had Minis.
One year they stopped fitting the little plastic cover over the fuses but at the same time they supplied a disc to fit in the hole in the centre of the spare wheel.
Unfortunately damp was then able to get at the fuses and the disc was too small and just fell through the hole.

The other thing he found when he did his own post delivery checks was that under the gear lever, in the remote tunnel, there was always a blob of grease on the bottom of the tunnel instead of being in the socket to lubricate the ball at the bottom of the lever.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have encountered the musings of Oldtimer in the middle of the night, but he does have a point. I currently have a Jaguar XF with an electric handbrake and a rotary gear selector. All very trendy but in real life they are a PITA. If you get stuck in snow the technigue is to rock the car by moving between D & R. With a good old fashioned gear-shift it's quite easy but with a rotary knob, odds on you end up in park. The electric handbrake is supposed to release automatically if you forget to release it. However on the Jag. forums one of the major moans is the short rear pad life.... coincididence???

The days of 'keep it simple' are gone. It's all about ergonomics.... What the heck is all that about???

Art
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: badly designed components Reply with quote

What a relief to find my usual trusty band prepared to provide therapy as well as advice to the slightly bewildered like myself!
It is good to know that there are those among you who share the view that bad design does not gain respectability simply because it has been around for ages.Yet I encountered one fellow some time ago who declared,"Such a fuss about a switch!"Obviously not on on our team.
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:

The days of 'keep it simple' are gone. It's all about ergonomics.... What the heck is all that about???

Perhaps, with your permission Art I could add an alternative view -

The days of 'keep it simple' are gone. It's all about over-complication.... What the heck is all that about??? Confused
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
47Jag wrote:

Perhaps, with your permission Art I could add an alternative view -

The days of 'keep it simple' are gone. It's all about over-complication.... What the heck is all that about??? Confused

Couldn't agree more, KISS rules in this house (Keep It Simple Stupid)

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
62rebel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sold parts for VW and New Beetle power window switches used to come in a combo of two for the driver's door in a package.... buy them singly and you paid more than for the pair.... i explained that to customers as being the VW mode of thinking; somebody has to break that part down to sell just HALF of it!

for years with THAT model alone we were amazed at the decision to place the radio BENEATH the dashboard cupholders....... fancy a cuppa in the motorola?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: